Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send to another mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

twdave

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2004
US
We have several Exchange users that have their emails directed to another mail server (Mercury) internally. This has been working fine until the other day when the Mercury server was moved to a different machine.

Initially I received announcements that my test mails were delayed. Those ended up failing and now I get "Unable to relay."

I was careful to change dns pointers and open ports on the firewall, so I don't know where I screwed up.

Any help will be appreciated.

Additional. This is the SMTP log entry:

2005-02-14 13:29:17 192.168.0.35 OutboundConnectionResponse SMTPSVC1 TWEXCH - - - - -

The ip address should read 192.168.0.33.

You said you were careful about the DNS pointers, but this is a clear DNS problem.

You can check your local hosts file to be sure nothng was put there. Otherwise there is a problem in your DNS setup someplace.

Doublecheck all of your MX records.

Thanks MoobyCow.

Yes, it was a DNS issue. I was kicked in the rear and was shown my error. It was on the Delivery tab - Advanced. I didn't change the external IP address.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back