Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send snapshot file via e-mail, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwilly

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
US
I have an Access 97 report that I am trying to send via e-mail. If I send it as an .rtf file it will work, if I try to send a snapshot file it will not work. It doesn’t give any error messages, and appears to be working up until it starts outputting to the e-mail message. At this point instead of starting Outlook, nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you,

Do you have the Snapshot Viewer installed on your machine?

If so, what is the code you are using to output the report?
Make sure you are using "Snapshot Format" as your type.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for the response!

Snapshot viewer is installed, and I have tried to send the report in several ways. I have opened the report and then gone into the file menu and selected "SEND" and then selected snapshot file as my file type option. I have also tried to do a "SAVE AS" and save it to a snapshot file. I have tried sending it using this line of code:
DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "rptQuote", "SnapshotFormat(*.snp)", "", "", "", "Price Quote", "See Attached", False, ""

None of these will work using the snapshot file format but all will work if rich text format is used.

Thank you,

Change "SnapshotFormat(*.snp)" to "Snapshot Format"

John, tried your suggestion with no luck. Same thing happens, it looks like it is going to work, but never opens Outlook to send the e-mail.

You also need to include an emial address after "Snapshot Format"

Try this
DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "rptQuote", "Snapshot Format", "John@dummy.com", "", "", "Price Quote", "See Attached", False, ""

No luck, I did put some code in to get the error number. The number it came up with is error 29013. Maybe this will help.

I don't know what the error is.
Try and run the sendobject with Outlook up and running.

Still nothing, I believe there is something in this database that will not allow this. I have other Access databases that I have no trouble with.
Thanks for your help.

This might be a little late but anyway, I had this same problem and found that if you update office97 (access97) to service release 2 (SR-2) you can email reports in the snapshot format just fine.

Hi All

Not Sure if this helps but I had to send reports by e-mail (not using OutLook) I discovered a app written for the web which can be used with access to send e-mails direct to a smtp server without having to go through a mail app (of course you don't get a record of this but it is very flexible)

Will be only to pleased to send the program and the code.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, I would be interested in the app you mentioned. Please e-mail to lwilliams@norwood.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back