Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send SMTP mail outside of network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno2k

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2001
US
Hi,

My background problem just became urgent...

I have an ASP script on one of our web sites that sends a user their
password if they've forgotten it... pretty simple... But the script
will only work if the recipient is within our corporate domain.

Anything sent outside of our domain never reaches its intended recipient, and there are no errors generated via ASP script. After about 15 minutes, there is a 4000 event logged in the Event Viewer. Any "regular" email sent through this server (via, Outlook, OE, etc.) works fine with no errors.

I'm running IIS 5.0 SMTP Service. I'm _not_ running Exchange Server. I did some more investigating and found that all letters to recipients outside of the corporate network are being dumped, as .EML files, into the \mailroot\queue directory, where they are never sent...

Eventually messages end up in the \mailroot\badmail directory as three parts: a .BAD file, a .BDP, and a .BDR.

I've tried setting up our ISPs mail server as a Smart Host under SMTP, but that hasn't had any effect. MX and A records seem to be set up properly registering mail.mycompany.com with the appropriate IP address... just can't email out through ASP scripts!!

And all of the files in \badmail are dated after our install (and quick subsequent UNinstall) of ISA Server... It was working before then... So I suspect ISA had something to do with it -- perhaps when the "Secure SMTP Server" (something like that) wizard was run?

I'm currently looking through DNS configuration... but I'm totally at a stopping point, and the "big guy" has just asked about the problem again this morning!!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
--RHYNO

What does the SMTP service log say? If it is disabled turn it on and look at the logging (enable all extended logging properties) which will usually give better clues as to what is going on.

Hi Jmarty,

Thanks for the reply. I've had the log on, and all I see is a lot of OutboundConnectionResponse lines, indicating port 1025.

I'm running FTGate Mail Server, and I guess the issue is the mail not getting from IIS 5's SMTP server and that of FTGate... I'm currently checking FT's literature to see what they say... Do I have to re-route the messages to FTGate from IIS?

--RHYNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back