Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send or recieve internal emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

polygram

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
US
Hi, I just migrate Exchange 5.5 to 2000 and the users can't send or receive internal emails. The exchange server is not setup to send or receive emails. It is primarily use for storing user mailboxes. Therefore there are no pop or smtp virtual server setup on the Exchange. The user are using Outlook as the email client, they are setup to use Interet Mail send and receive email from our ISP's pop and smtp. There are no problem sending or receiving emails from external email accounts. Why and what cause this problem of not able to send and recieved internal emails? Your help is greatly appreciated

You must have a SMTP Virtual Server on an E2K box. This is by design and mail will not work internal without it. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Dan,
How can I accomplish to send and receive internal email in this case? I don't want the fancy stuff like getting and sending email to run off from exchange server. I just need to use it for storage purposes. I had the virtual smtp and the smtp connector set up before on the exchange server but it causes to send out double email at times. So i decided to take it off and just use the Internet Mail Account. As of now, all local clients are using Internet Mail settings to get and sent from our ISP. What is the easiest way if there is any to work around this ( send and received internal emails? Thanks.

Alan

Must have SMTP on Exchange 2000. No way around it...

If you want storage make a file server with psts. I don't see why you just don't point to E2K with MAPI profiles and use it as designed. Lot easier IMHO. Not trying to rude but E2k is pretty expensive to not use it as designed. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Dan, I hear you... nevermind i found the fix for it.. thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back