Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Send or Receive E-Mail in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variscite

MIS
Nov 3, 2003
US
Today the computers in our company cannot send or receive email. I've talked to the ISP to check for changed settings and looked at the emails via webmail. There are messages in the mailboxes, but Outlook cannot receive them or send. The incoming mail server is with the ISP and outgoing is with the company which connects us to the internet.

We're not using Exchange.

We're using McAfee Total Protection Service and I stopped all the McAfee services, but still cannot send or receive.

The error for the incoming service is "Outlook could not connect to the incoming mail server. The problem could be the server name or port or your server may not support SSL. Verify your port and SSL settings in More Settings under the Advanced tab."

Can anyone help?

The most common reason that you can't connect to the incoming mail server (port 110) is that someone blocked the port with a firewall.

Followed by connection issues if it's off-site, or the server is down for some reason, or I have experienced in my own network that I was messing with my IP on my computer to access arouter and forgot to change it back, or (I run linux) I ticked off portsentry from screwing around with settings and managed to block my workstations IP on my own server... Or, my password expired on my server and I have to reset the tokens (or change it).

The last case with the password should never happen with an ISP though - I have never heard of one forcing you to change your passwords periodically....

Just some ideas to bounce around.

Issue Resolved. McAfee Total Protection updated last night and is causing problems. I haven't fixed the problems - just temporarily uninstalled McAfee. Stopping the McAfee services didn't fix the problem.

Thanks donb01, I'm guessing the McAfee update turned the personal firewalls on, so your first guess was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back