Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Send Emails to a Specific Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

C5Thunder

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
I've recently run into the following problem:

I cannot send emails from my company (me@mycompany.com) to a specific domain (recepient@othercompany.com) for no apparent reason. I can send to anyone else on the internet without any problems.

I can also receive email from anyone on the internet (including the company that i cannot send to) with no issues at all.

We are both running Exchange 2000 Server environments with the latest patches.

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Have you or your ISP made any DNS changes recently? You may need to call your ISP to confirm...

When you send the email, do you get a bounced message back? If so what does it say and what is the error number.

They probably have you on a blocked list. Call them and ask or send an email to their administrator from another domain.

You should also check sites like this --> to see if you are on any of their lists.

ChrisP ---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

Afte further testing it appears that i can only send to the administrator@othercompany.com but not anyone else. I have verified that i am not on anyone's block list, and that they can receive mail from other addresses (i.e. my home email).

I get the following message:

Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.othercompany.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;mail.mycompany.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:48:05 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;joeuser@othercompany.com
Action: failed

I have this same problem sometimes with random domains, still kinda boggles me b/c i can telnet into their server with no prob. 01110000

Ask the administrator at othercompany.com if they are hosting their own mail server. I've seen this before where their ISP is hosting their mail server and the ISP is blocking an entire IP block for whatever reason. ---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

Well the issues has been resolved. The problem turned out to be DNS on MY side. My external DNS hosting recently changed from one site to anothor, and the person making the changes did not inform me. Thanks to everyone for their help, especiall Bronto who alerted me to this in the first place.

Nothing like a secret DNS switch to ruin your day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back