Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send email to certain email addresses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonaedwards

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2003
SV
Hello,

I am having a strange problem. None of our users can send email to certain domains using Exchange 2000, but using hotmail or other POP3 mail works. I can even remotely connect to port 25 via telnet to the remote server in question, from the Exchange server, and manually create an email. This works fine. I have enabled logging on the SMTP service, and have noticed that Exchange can connect to these remote servers. Once connected, it:

Issues a EHLO command.
Receives a valid response.
Then it issues a QUIT command.
Connection is terminated.

On most servers, where email is being sent properly, it:

Issues a EHLO command.
Issues a MAIL FROM command.
Issues a RCPT To command.
Receives a valid reponse.
Issues a DATA command. Sends the contents of the email.
Then it issues a QUIT command.

Does anyone have ANY idea why it is doing this? Considering I can connect manually via telnet on port 25 from the Exchange Server itself and send the email, I cannot see why Exchange would also not be able to send the email.

Thanks

Jason

One thought is that these destination domains may subscribe to blacklist services and for some reason you are blacklisted. To find out if you are go to the following link. Hope this helps.

One thing to check also is, TimeWarner (Road Runner or Bright House) is blocking alot of e-mail traffic these days from anyone who is using broadband connections.

They have a way to fix it if you qualify....under there standards......

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back