Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot seem to start a scheduled backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjj032

Technical User
Sep 29, 2000
US
I am new to the company and the previous person in charge of handling the backup took all of the literature on backup exec with him...can somebody please give me some hints on scheduling a backup up...if you manually start the backup it will work fine...I am now trying to go through the 'Help' menu to schedule but I am not getting anywhere and I a little frustrated...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...mjj032 [sig][/sig]

Just click on the BACKUP button in BE. Itll bring up a new Job window that you can use to configure a job. At the bottom is a SCHEDULE button thatll allow you to set when you want the thing to run. IF you have VER 8 it has a virtual calendar to setup your schedules. Lot easier. Its the Advanced Scheduling option button on that same screen.

You can download the docs for BE from the veritas web site. [sig][/sig]

A follow-on question: I have version 8, but it seems like the Backup Exec software needs to be running, on a logged-on user, on the desktop of the server where Backup Exec is installed. Isn't this thing supposed to be able to run as a service with nobody logged on?

It's horrible to have to leave an admin logged on in the server closet! Any other way and the job just simply never runs - no errors, no messages. It just never starts. Any ideas?

I'm sure you've probably already checked this, but there are 7 or 8 services for BE8.0 that need to be running for the entire system to function as a "Service".

With BE7.x there was an extra service called "VNCSNAPSHOT" (for OFO) that also needed checked. That one is easy to miss because it is in an entirely different place in the services monitor.

You may want to try the following steps:

1 - manually stop all services then manually restart them.

2 - Schedule a small test job for a few minutes into the future and place it on hold.

3 - Make sure the backup job is set to eject the tape after it is finished (much easier to track its completion when not running the GUI).

4 - Mount an overwritable tape in the drive.

5 - Take the test job off hold and close the BE GUI but don't log out of NT.

Keep an eye on the system clock and you should see the tape get initialized within 60 seconds of the clock turning over to the scheduled launch time. After the job is finished, it should automatically eject the media without the need for the GUI to be running.

Once the tape is ejected, you can re-launch the GUI. The Job should still be running until you respond <OK> to the &quot;remove media&quot; prompt.

Having said all of that, I've never had trouble with any version running scheduled jobs while the application was not running live. Normally, I don't bother to logoff of the server when I'm finished. I merely <CNTL+ALT+DEL> and choose &quot;Lock&quot;. When I arrive in the AM, I just unlock the server and launch the EXE.

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back