Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot See Video Or Play Sounds On Web Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsim

Instructor
Apr 18, 2000
AU
I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but the problem only started after ungrading from Windows ME to Windows XP Professional.
I had used NetObjects Fusion 7 to produce web pages, they operated perfectly including any sound or video files contained in them.
I also made some CD's and they run as a web page, since the upgrade if I play any of the CD's containing a sound or video file they will not play, all that appears on the screen is a rectangle of where the respective player should be.
I can no longer produce web pages with sound or video when using the application.
I contacted the software manufacturer and they do not know of the problem.
I also ensured I have the latest Java runtime files and the Java VM installed.
I would appreciate any assistance.
kevsim

Did you upgrade your video driver from the manufacturer when you upgraded to XP? I would think this would be a video problem and would see if the drivers are the problem.

My 2 cents.

herrslime, I thank you for the information.
I possibly did not fully explain the problem, when I upgraded to Windows XP, I located all the updated drivers for the particular devices, I am not having any problem with the computer except for the present issue.
I had previously produced web pages and had them running off a CD, the same as a web site would operate.
I can no longer play the active content of the CD’s such as video and sound files.
The programme I used was NetObjects Fusion 7 to produce the web sites.
Now in Fusion 7, if I use the Media player tool to put media on the page, this will not operate in preview mode, simular problem to displaying the CD web contents.
I am in touch with NetObjects trying to resolve the problem, but todate no success.
I have tried to lower the security on Internet Explorer, but it will not allow me to be lower than Medium.

kevsim

Have a read of this it may help you set your Security Settings?

SP2 won't allow me to change security settings on IE
thread779-923749

linney,
Thanks for the information, it will take a bit to absorb and then trial and error to see if the web CD's will work OK.
kevsim

linney,
I used Run/ and typed GPEDIT.msc in the window, thr Group Policy window opened.
I made 2 changes as outlined in the thread you advised, I changed then from “Not Configured” to “Enabled”, for testing of the fault I have.
This part did not work so I changed it back to “Not Configured”
Now when I go to Internet Explorer Tools/Internet Options, I receive the message “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.
I rolled the computer back to an earlier start using system restore but the same error message appears.
How can I overcome this restriction, I would appreciate your advise.

kevsim

linney, Thanks for the information, but still having the same problems. I installed another browser, Opera 7.11, I have the same problem of it not playing the video or sound on the web page.
When the web page appears, there is a rectangle or square where the media player should be, it has a red cross in the top left hand corner.
I uninstalled Windows Defender, AdWare, Spybot search and destroy and disabled Windows Firewall and Norton System Works 2005, still have the same problem.
Running out of ideas.
kevsim

Disabling a third party firewall is often not sufficient as any settings from the firewall remain in effect. To thoroughly eliminate any firewalling as a cause you may have to uninstall it completely.

You could try this first if you like.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

I can only conjecture, that the needed CODECs (ergo drivers) are not properly installed or functioning the way they should...

Check if the installed codecs are not damaged, by using Sherlock the Codec Detective:

if they are then you can reinstall them or possible missing ones (see below)
codec pack:

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

My apologies if this sounds stupid. It almost sounds as though your system can't find the video and sound files. Can you browse to them on the CDs that you created? Do they play when you open them with a different media player? Can you see video and hear sound on other websites?

Hi Kevsim - I had the same problem and process of elimination proved to be SP2. - I removed SP2 and created webpages with both pic and audio no probs. If you have SP2 installed, when tring to insert audio you will get some kind of message saying created in html or something like that. Therefore, remove SP2 and all should be ok.

Mel in the UK

I thank you all for the information; I will go a little further with my story.
I am using Windows firewall, this is part of the XP operating system and cannot be uninstalled, I am also running Norton System Works 2005.
I found if the firewall was turned off and went into Security Centre it showed the firewall as being on. I traced this back to Norton Internet Worm protection being switched on, turn this off and Control Centre will show the firewall as being off.
I finally uninstalled Norton, Spybot, Addware, and Windows defender, and had the firwall turned off, the problem is still there.
I can play all my multimedia files in the respective players external to the web pages.
It does appear it has something to do with Service Pack 2, my Windows CD includes service pack 2, how can this be uninstalled separately?
My only problem with the service pack suggestion is, I played the web CD’s on two other computers with Windows XP service pack 2 without any problems.
I still have to try the suggestions of linney and BadBigBen.

kevsim

in that case that could be a bad installation of either the service pack or something wrong with the Operating System.

I have seen some issues that have been fixed by removing a bad service pack installation.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

If it worked in ME, there is always this option, but that is one hell of a backward step.

You can not uninstall Windows XP Professional if you:
Changed your hard disk configuration; for example, if you have converted from FAT to NTFS or have created new partitions.

Have you looked at these articles to see if anything applies to you.

How to Manually Start the Uninstall Process to Remove Windows XP (Q312569)

How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System (Q303661)

Also if you did an upgrade from ME to XP, rather than a clean install, who knows what old baggage got carried across into XP from ME? A clean install is the recommended choice in my opinion.

If you don't or can't apply any of the above, consider a parallel install of XP (clean) and see if the fault is still apparent. Test (in the clean parallel install) after every update or program install and see if you can pick up when the problem surfaces?

Read this paragraph in the following MSKB.
"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

If you do a clean install, and your XP CD is an upgrade version, it will ask for your ME CD early on to make sure that you have a Qualifying Product to upgrade (clean) from.

Thank you all for the assistance, I finally located the problem, Media player 10 was installed, I reinstalled from a magazine disk I had and also re run ActiveX 9.0c (this was previously installed), I can now run the CD’s OK showing video and sound and Fusion 7 web design programme works OK.
Then the following programmes were reinstalled, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, Norton System Works 2005 and turned on Windows Firewall.
Everything still works OK.

Glad you found the problem and have it fixed... and thnx for posting how you did it aswell...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back