Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see Unixware 7.1 server through Win2k Network manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottlem

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
GB
I can not see our Sco unixware 7.1 server if i go into our network neighbouthood area in Win2k. I can ping the server at its IP address and i can also Remote in using the ip address. I know it probably a lame question but how do i see the server through Win2k

Regards

Scott (almost getting there)

I would suggest loading VisionFS from SCO/Caldera on the SCO server. If you have it on the server already then it may not be running. If you are not sure whether or not it is loaded check your software manager (custom) on the SCO system, it will show you if it is loaded.

If it is loaded; the files will reside in the usr/lib/vision/visionfs directory of the SCO box. The command to start it is (from root directory) "./usr/lib/vision/visionfs/bin/visionfs start" There are 2 spaces between the last visionfs and the word start. You can add this to the "etc/rc2.d/8" userdef file to have it start each time the system boots.

Visionfs is a SMB server which allows you to share resources between the Microsoft based network and the SCO system. This includes user shares, printers etc.. It is a good and worthwhile program to those that need it.

Another really excellent SMB server program is SAMBA from samba.org. It will give you the same functionality as Visionfs. I prefer Visioinfs for SCO systems because it is tailored for these systems. Which ever one you might choose, read the documentation before installing them.

Thanks;
Mike

Ok now i am trying to install visionFS. I have copied all the detail to /tmp as instructions per Scounix website. Now the process will not install the program. Using the Application installer i receive the message. "user does not have permisson to install packages pkgadd" now i am logged in as root any ideas?

Which version of Visionfs are you trying to install? You should have at least version 3.0 (version 3.1 is the latest).

After untarring the files you should go to SCOADMIN/Software Manager to do the installation or "custom" at the "#" prompt. If you are logged in as root you should not have and problem with the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back