Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see the Symmetrix (DMX) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekieMDX

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2004
US
Have a new DMX 1000 that will replacing a 8850. The DMX is up and running, I'm trying to discover the DMX using the symmaskdb command and I received the following error specified Symmetrix ID is unknown. I also ran the symcfg discover command and nothing happened. The operating system is windows 2000. I have solution enable 5.4, and ESN Manager 2.1. Any suggestion

Hi TekieMDX,

Which license are set under Solution Enabler 5.4 ?
(check the symapi_licenses.dat)
The server where you run the command is attached to this DMX box ? throught a switch ? (if yes, zoning switch is ok and activated ? are there some gk configured too ?
what is the result of a "symcfg list" command ?
Does the "symcfg discover" works fine ?

Christian

Chris78,

Solution Enabler has the correct license. Yes, zoning is ok and activated. What do you mean by is the gk configure?
The result of the symcfg list was the specified Symmetrix ID is unknown. Like I said before the symcfg discover doesn't work.

thanks

ok,

So think you must in FC-SW protocol, means that the VCM bit must be set on the FA connected to your host ; so it means that you must at least see a little device named 'vcm' which is write-disabled.
Other thing to check on your host side :
-I suppose that you must have a LP9xxx hba so you must run the emulex configuration tool as follow :
elxcfg --emc
Then you must have : (the most important)
<max lun number> set to 255
<automaticaly map scsi> enable
<query name server for all Nports> enable
<allow multiple paths to scsi tape> enable
<register for state change> enable
<use reports lun> enable
<lun mapping> disable
Then you must be able to see 1 or + hba in "available adapters" and in the below screen the corresponding FA wwpn with the word "(present)" which means that it's really connect in live.
If you don't have this kind of screen, you must first check for a zoning switch. Tell us.

Christian

Chris,

Thanks for your help. We had figure it out, before I read your second comments. It was the hba card, didn't run the emulex tool with the elxcfg --emc command.

TekieMDX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back