Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see tape devices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevstar

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Just installed Arcseve on a new DELL Poweredge. It has a DAT drive (ARCHIVE Python 06408-XXX SCSI Sequential Device). I have run the ArcServe Device Configuration wizard and made Arcserve take full control of the drive, but when I go into Arcserve Device Wizard there is no tape drive. Also, if I open up the Device Manager in ArcServe, one of the green icons (I think it is a SCSI Channel?!) is shared and I dont know how to remove this.

Lastly, if I go to Device Group Configuration there are no available devices in the list. It is as if something else within windows has got hold of the tape drive and even when running the wizard (ArcServe Device Configuration Wizard) the drive is still allocated to something else.

Please can someone help me, I dont know what else to try.
P.S The server is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP3 and I have installed SP4 for Arcserve

thanks again
kev

yea tried that many times!!! still no joy

When you start up the Dell Poweredge server both the boot screen SCSI settings and Windows 2000 (Device manager) must be able to see the Seagate drive. Can you see them in both ??

regards

I have found the problem, my DELL has no external SCSI controller, it is all delt with on the mother board. If this is the setup, the Array controller 'shares' the SCSI port on the mother board. Arcserve therefore thinks it does not have full control over the tape drive even though you run the Device Configuration Wizard. Because the wizard is run and Arcserve still hasnt got full control of the tape drive (or so it thinks), Arcserve says that the tape engine cannot find the primary server (it now thinks it is part of a SAN).

Basically, if you have no external SCSI controller and you cannot get the tape drive to work properly, run this fix and it will be sorted!!!!! QO41394.CAZ

Thanks for all your help

Kev

Kev,

just for the record : it is not advised to connect a tape drive on the array controller. The best thing is to use a separate SCSI controller for your backup hardware.

regards

That is exactly the problem, the worst bit is DELL custom built it like that!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back