Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see Slot #8 - Tandberg Tape Library Ultrium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

shon4711

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
DE
Hello,

we are running Arcserve Backup 15 with a Tandberg StorageLoader Ultrium 4.
In Arcserve Device-Manager I can only see slot #1 to slot #7.
Slot #8 is not shown. It doesn't matter if I configure slot 8 in the storageLoader setup as the cleaning slot or not.
Arcserve won't show the slot!
Also if I configure slot8 as the cleaning slot (in Tandberg Setup) it's not possible for me to configure slot8 in Arcserve as the Cleaning slot beacause the slot is not shown.
(btw: in Tandberg Menues everything shows up fine, only in Arcserve not!)

Has anybody an idea?
Thanks in advance, best regards,
Peter

Check View Preferences for the settings on which slots to display.

Hi David,

"Check View Preferences for the settings on which slots to display. "

Thanks for the hint, but in
"Device Manager" -->"Preferences"-->"Bibliotheksfilter"(in german)--> I've only checked 'show empty slots" --> And in the right window it's shown as: "actual filter: show all slots" (Doesn't matter what I check or uncheck here --> I cannot see slot 8!)
Also in Tanberg Library setup I set the Cleaning Slot to "0" to make use of a data cassette in this slot.

I don't know what can I do more?

regards,
Peter

Is that 0 as in slot 0 or 0 as in disabled?

As for what else you can do, you can open an issue with CA support.

Hi David,

If you select Slot '0' for cleaning that means "cleaning disabled" (You can choose from 0 to 8 for cleaning slot)
Slot #0 does not exists (it's from Slot#1 to Slot#8).

I did contact CA Support and now aiting for a recall.

Thanks again, best regards,
Peter

OK then with it set to 0 the library is letting ARCserve manage cleaning which is what we want. If time permits I see about getting a copy of the manual for the library and checking the config but based off what is reported the library has 8 data slots and one dedicated cleaning slot, and when configured to let the application control cleaning all 8 data slots should be presented to the application as available.

Next step is set the Tape Engine Message level to Detail with Read/Write, stop the Tape Engine, rename tape.log, start the Tape Engine and then check the log for a section like this.

[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] ------- Showing Library[4] Info --------------------------
[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] - LDN:4 Serial Number : [DEC023023E]
[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] - LDN:4 Number of Arms : [1]
[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] - LDN:4 Number of Slots : [84]
[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] - LDN:4 Number of Drive(s) : [4]
[11/11 14:32:54 17bc 2 ] - LDN:4 Number of I/E Slots: [12]

this is the critical part "Number of Slots" if it has 7 then the library is presenting only 7 slots to the host application. If the library tells ARCserve is has 7 slots then that's all ARCserve will show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back