Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot See Shared Printer on Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have a laptop that is running XPP SP 2 and I can't see the shared printer I have setup. I can ping the machine, I can access and control the laptop via a VNC connection, and I've scanned the laptop with Adaware, Spybot and MS Defender (nothing found). I have shared the printer and I can print to the printer from the laptop, but I cannot "see" nor print to the printer from the network. I've tried "browsing" the network for the printer and even tried adding a new local port "\\laptopname\printername" but it comes back as not being found.

Any ideas or suggestions??? Any information that I have left out?

Did you 'Share' the printer?

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

Yes. I cannot even browse \\laptopname\c$ (it says that the network resource cannot be found). One other note - when I am on the laptop and try to browse the network via Explorer, I get the following error message (note the second paragraph - I don't know if it applies):

"<network> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

I did some research on this second paragraph and it says that a XPP machine can only accept up to 10 connections. This may be my problem. But how can I tell how many connections are already there, and how can I kill off some connections (and prevent them)?

use the netstat command this will tell you what machines are connected.

also are you in a domain enviornment?? I'm just wondering, cause of the subject or this thread. If so, did you check the list in active directory check box.

Yes, I am in a domain environment, and I am a domain admin. No, I did not check the "list in active directory" checkbox, but I do not normally do this (and I can still print over domain). Anyway, other issues have presented themselves which broaden the scope of this beyond just printers.

Now I can't even access the laptop via VNC (whereas before I could). Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm having the laptop FexEx'd to me so I can look at it on Monday. Something funky is going on with this laptop and I've got to get to the bottom of it. I'll post an update on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back