Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see or locate server name in Studio Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

madvalpreston

Technical User
Apr 7, 2011
GB
Hi

I have loaded Stusio express 2005.

It appears to load ok, but when I go to log in

Server type : Databse Engine
Server Name:
Authentication : Windows Authentication
Username kir-wks-007\Colin

The problem now is it cannot locate a local server name.

Any ideas please as I need to have a server so i can attach databases.

Thanks

You need to put in the name of the database server.
This is normally known in advance. You can enter localhost if you have a sqlserver database installed on whatever machine you are currently using.

I would suggest asking one of your co-workers what the development database server is.

hth,
Lodlaiden

A lack of experience doesn't prevent you from doing a good job.

Hi

I have tried running the SQL management and it gives SQLExpress as standard. but it keeps crashing the installation.

It is loaded on my own local laptop so not part of a network.

I have loaded the Studio express 2005 and in the sever name I have tried

localhost
kir-wks-007\SQLExpress
SQLExpress
localhost\SQLExpress

But none of these work.

Do you need to just install the Stusio express 2005 or is it needed with another SQL install (like the SQL management install)

Any ideas please

Thanks

I developed an asp.net web app using a local sql server express 2005.
I am now trying to port my web app to a 'rackspace' host url.
The Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express will not connect to the 'rackspace' url but a 'rackspace' tech can connect to the instance.

I have a sneaky suspicion that my management studio will not reach outside the local host. Could that be true?

murrayja,

Please create your own thread for your question.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

madvalpreston,

When you installed SQL Server, the installation directions should have given you an option where you checked what you wanted installed.

Did you check that you included the Database Engine? SSMS is only the client tool to access databases, it does not include the database engine.

You will know you are installing the database engine since it will ask you to create a SA password and an instance name as part of the setup.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back