Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see new san disks on windows 2000 in explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo12

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
EU
Have added a new disk to a windows 2000 server and have configured it etc using disk management and all looks ok. However it is not being seen by windows explorer or my computer. Any ideas ? note I have had this problem before and eventually the disks just appear ?

Hi,
To answer to your question, precise us the following :
1 - In what FC protocol are you ? (FC-AL or FC-SW)
2 - The zoning switch is it ok ? (WWN of the hba + WWN of the FA)
3 - The lun masking is it ok ? (means luns 00 to 05 are authorized for the WWN of this HBA under this FA)

Christian Guérin
EMC France

Just curious, you say you configure everything through disk manager (assuming partitioning/formatting etc) and it all looks ok. Then you try to access the new volumes via explorer but they are not there.

Are you doing this through Terminal Services by any chance? If so, I've come across this before, you have to log out and back in again before they appear. Just something funky with Terminal Services.

Just a thought!

Isom.

Hi Timbo,
first thing first, can the disk be seen from an syminq command? The inq issues a SCSI 12 to the disk so is non-disruptive. If it can't be seen I would as Chris78 says double check everything. If it can be seen check to see if it is read write enabled on the channel using the symdev -sid xxx show <dev> command.
I usually find with WINNT/W2K boxes that it needs to be an even number of reboots, before it picks the EMC disk up properly ;-)
Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back