Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see files in local Disk C 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer4meok

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
CA
When I go to "My Computer"/local disk C I can only see two files And they are for my HP printer.

Every other file will not show up, program files,windows etc. They must be somewhere everything else is working fine.

Checked for trojans and viruses just before posting none found.

Systems restore brings me back 3 days but the problem is still there. Will not go back any further.

I have a 250 Gig hard drive 2 partitions C and D, I can see everything in the D partion.
Anyone have any idea where they are hiding

Thanks

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

1. try to search your any file by clicking Start > Search > and then file name, and when it display the result just check path in the property of that file.

Do you have more than one user...? if you saved files when you were logedin as use A and now trying to find those files while logedin user B then may be you can not find those files because those are hiden now in user A profile.

Open C: drive > Click On Tools > Folder Options > Click on View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Untick "Hide Protected Operating System Files" > Click Apply > Click OK

Can you now see the files and folders? If so something must have made them hidden.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thank you Greg
I don't know how I overlooked that.

Something I did in the last week must have switched it to hide files

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that you are sorted. You said in your orignal post that you have checked for Viruses and Trojans etc.., Have you also checked for Spyware/Malware etc using a tool such as Windows Defender or Spybot?

If not I would recommend checking.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

did you hide your files, go to the run box and type \\c$\nameoffolder and see if anything comes up if it does you folders are now hidden if you dont know how to unhide them google how to recover hiiden folders using windows xp

Thanks for all the quick responses, I got it sorted out.

Greg, I have been using, XoftSpyse,AdAware,Trojan Remover and Spy Remover.

Spy Removers interface looks a lot like Spy Bot

Except for Trojan remover,all the rest will sometimes pick up some files or cookies that the others missed, so I run them all.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back