Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot see file extensions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly13

Programmer
Aug 31, 2006
US
I am brand new to Server 2008 and to an application that is running on it. This is on a military base anything added must be absolutely necessary.

The application makes extensive use of file name extensions, long and sometimes several dots. How can I force Explorer to show the text of the extension.

I saw a thread elsewhere about the search function. Under explorer, I find it extremely agrivating and difficult to use. Is there any available method of getting it to look like previous search functions? Failing that, has anyone writen any guidelines on how to use this darn thing?

Thank you,

Open My Computer
Click Tools
Select Folder Options
Select View
Uncheck hide file extensions

That should do it

Network+ Inet+ MCP MCSA 2k3

This is server 2008. I don't find a "My Computer" to click on. There is "Computer" but is is unlike explorer on XP. When I do get the server 2008 explorer showing some files, I can right click on the top of the file pane on the right side and get some options. One of the is "Type" which is already checked and it just tells me about the type. It does not show the actual extension. When I select More, there is a huge list of options, but none looks anywhere close to showing the actual extension of files.

This Server 2008 explorer is either very primitive or very restricted or maybe both. The computer admin guys tell me I have admin privilieges, but I cannot even see the DVD drive. I saw it once, but when I tried to look at the contents it acted like is was reading every file on the CD ROM, then gave me some error and hid the drive from me. The drive would not even open when I pressed the button and I had to paper clip it and force it open. Geez.

It must be 2008 R2. When you have Explorer open, try pressing the ALT key to see the menu bar and then select tools, folder options. On the view tab you should see the hide extensions check box, which is checked by default.

Sorry i didn't take into consideration it could have been R2. Mufka's suggestion should work.

Network+ Inet+ MCP MCSA 2k3

Oops, forgot to say thanks. This is Server 2008 R2. And yes, the ALT key showed more options and gave me what I need. Thank you.

Time is the medium we use to express our priorities
(Bryan Kelly, 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back