Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot scan the barcode ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PankX

Programmer
May 10, 2002
ID
Hi all,
I use 3 of 9 Barcode TTF. When I print the code eg CLJ 09-1499 using FPW26, it's print a barcode font. But when I want to scan it using the barcode scanner, it cannot work (cannot input to my program). The scanner is fine (i've been tried it with another barcode).

Any idea ? or is there any other font i can use ?

Thank's
Pram

If the barcode scanner works with other Code 3 of 9 barcodes, then the most likely problem is bar/space density.

There is a ratio between wide bars/spaces and narrow bars/spaces. That ratio is typically variable with most barcode fonts. Sometimes these bar/space ratio differences are not easy to recognize with the naked eye.

If your reader is sensitive at all to these changes, it will not recognize the barcode. The more expensive the reader, the more tolerant it is.

Try printing the barcode in a variety of barcode font sizes/densities. You will most likely find some that work and others that do not.

Also, when you test your reader, do so when you are in the Foxpro Command Window. If the code is read correctly and sent to the computer, the read value should be displayed in the Command Window just as though you typed it in.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

there is a remote possibility that your barcode font only correctly represents numerics, and not alpha characters. for example, we use a Code39-Digits font that only includes numerics. [smile]

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

Can you post the exact size of the barcode and the label. Most probably the space on the left and the right is not enough. Try printing on a plain paper in the middle and scan again.

Nasib Kalsi

PankX,

I assume you did not forget to put the required "*" (asterisk) character on both ends of your barcode.
Some barcode readers require check-digit to properly read a barcode. You may have to try adding it.

Medic

Try scanning at the dos prompt.
What comes up at the prompt?

And is it character or numeric?

Is it what you expected?

Most barcode readers are "dumb". They just "do it".
But some (quite a few) add digits or characters to the barcode. This can be changed by scanning the relative codes in the setup manual.
By the way, if you need to re-program the scanner and you don't have the book, forget it.

Basically, what you have to check is "what is the scanner doing".
Ken F

In addition,

Character fields in DOS version of FoxPro will take only characters and special characters might not make it. So if you try inputting to a memo field and it works then you know that you have to relook at he original bar code generation programme.

End

Guys,

I've been try to create the label using coreldraw. But the scanner still can't scan the code. I've been add '*' character before and after the string, but it still don't work. Maybe you know any others free fonts that i can try ?

Thank's
Pram

Pram, your problem is probably with CorelDraw being to good.
Bar codes can not be simply sized to suit you.
They must be sized to suit the scanner.
Try Avery Dennisons LabelPro 2 OR 3 (both given away free by Avery) or the Avery Word wizard, also free.
You will find that EAN and UPC codes must be, for instance, 1.3cm wide and will not scan if they are 1.2 or 1.4.

Ken F

PankX,

If you can give an email address (temporary address is advisable). I can send you a fully functional Code 39 barcode font.

Medic

Hi Medic,

Please send your fonts to :

pankx@telkom.net

Thank's
Pank-X

Hi Medic:

Would you be able to send the font to me as well. I still donot know if PankX's problem is solved.

email at gsq14 at yahoo.com.

Thanks

Nasib Kalsi

I had it sent to your email. Let me know how it turns out.

Hi guy's , I read this tread & this is the problem I m expirencing now , I would like if possible to get the same font which medic sent to PankX , thank's , someone can send it please to blumash@yahoo.com

Do a Google search for "3of9.ttf" Install the font and type out some sample messages Wordpad to experiment with different size and limits for the 3 of 9 format. Use Windows CharMap to see what characters are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back