Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot run Internet Connection Wizard on SBS2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesh2006

Technical User
Mar 8, 2006
GB
I had some problems with OWA and Sharepoint on an SBS2003 Standard server and I have attempted to re-run the CEICW several times.

Each time I run it, it tells me the DCHP Server isn't started. I check it and it is started.

After a few attempts I get past this stage, but when I get to the section to select the Web Services I want, no Outweb Web Access or Remote Web Workplace is there, in fact, only Sharepoint Services (which is ticked) is displayed. All the other six options are missing.

When I continue and attempt to complete the wizard it fails on all four conguration, the Internet is lost and only comes back after two reboots.

Would the underlying problem go back to the installing the Sharepoint, which was not set up by my predecessor and has anyone come across a similar problem?

The DHCP part is interesting. Can you verify that you don't have a firewall issueing out DHCP addresses? SBS will disable DHCP locally if if detects another DHCP server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Sounds like you really have some underlying problems with this server. If most of the web services are missing in the CEICW, then my first suggestion would be to reinstall the Networking Components.

You do this by Opening Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and scrolling down to Windows Small Business Server 2003. Click "Change" to begin the SBS Integrated Setup Wizard. Then on the Component Selection Screen, change Server Tools to "Maintenance" and Networking to "uninstall". Complete the wizard and then rerun it again, this time setting Networking to "install". You will need the original SBS install CD to complete the process.

choices-1.jpg

If that doesn't do the trick, you can run a repair install by inserting SBS CD1 while logged into Windows and when the splash menu comes up select "Upgrade". Essentially it's an in-place upgrade to the same version which should repair things. However, if you have an OEM version, you may not be able to do this because technically OEM licenses can't be used to upgrade an existing installation.

Jeffrey B. Kane [MVP - Small Business Server]
TechSoEasy
Blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back