Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Run Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdullauthan

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
SA
If I run any application, the following message is displayed.

Cannot find the file '<path>\<app>.EXE' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available.

This happened when one of the users run an application, possibly a Trojan. It won't allow to run any application(.EXE).

Any solution for this?

I sounds like you're trying to run programs from a complicated path... For example c:\program files\my programs\trojan.exe

Notice the path contains spaces... Console and Dos 8.3 style command aware applications like simple paths...

try copying the program to a simpler path like:
c:\prog\myprog
and then run it... Update shortcuts...
Or perphaps, if you need them in this locations...
make sure links are like this:
c:\progra~1\myprog~1or
&quot;c:\program files\my programs\&quot;
You have to use quotes otherwise...

This is a pretty nasty problem..and almost 100% sure it's virus-related. If it were me, I'd re-install the O/S, because the virus wiped out your .exe associations. The way to fix it is not easy, and takes even longer than reinstalling the OS because you have to install another instance of NT in a different folder anyway (unless you have an ERD).

There is a way to fix it, but it involves installing NT again anyway in a different folder on your hard drive.
Only proceed if the data is critical, and cannot be backed-up.

If you cant find a fix from symantec or anything for this virus - i'd just reinstall the OS, and lock that user down..

If you'd like to try fixing it, try opening regedit, and see if you can run that, or it gives you an error as well. THis will confirm that you're all messed-up. :)

Either way - I'll post again with instructions if you'd like to try fixing it, but it's a good time to publicly slap the user on the hand, blow his machine away, and start fresh.

Let me know what you'd like to do..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

You will probably need to rename regedit.exe to regedit .com.
Run regedit.com and check the following keys:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command]

They should only contain these 7 characters: &quot;%1&quot; %*
in other words these 7 characters: quote, percent, 1, quote, space, percent, asterisk
Remove any other characters and leave the 7 as they appear here.

I had this same problem over the weekend. Luckily I was able to boot into WIN 98, which notified me that I had a trojan virus.

Download the fix for the &quot;Code Red II&quot; virus from and run that. On mine it removed programs in my root directory called explorer.exe and root.exe.

I was sure that I was up to date on security patches, but I must have missed one.

I just recently went through this problem and it was related to what qwaysar mentioned above. The problem I ran into was that I could not run regedit.exe or even when I copied it to regedit.com. I finally ended up exporting the key in question from a good machine and merging it into the corrupt one. It worked like a charm and saved the install. Mine instance was related to Sircam.

Make sure to only export the one key in question:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command]

It fixed it immediately so you will know right away if it worked or not. Sure beat having to do any reinstall :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back