Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot run any .exe file, help needed fast plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooldude

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
US
i read on a thread that its the verona virus. anyways, i cant open any .exe files anymore and i dont know what to do.

i already ran an antivirus i it deleted the virus, but i can't still open any .exe file. i think it deleted a file in system32, i really need help

The virus may have messed up your Rundll32.exe file in the Windows\system directory. The Sircam virus can do this. It will try to replicate the virus each time an executable file is run. Since you have deleted the virus file and it can't be found, the executable can't run. If this is the case, go to and get the fix tool or the instructions for editing your registry. You may have to patch your registry using another computer, then expand the patch from a diskette to your computer. Symantec has the procedure for this.

Binks

Hi, Binks:

Interesting problem. Would a Windows Setup CD run on its own files in this case?

Thanks,

Fourls

Fourls:

I believe it would ,if you booted from it - if the Windows registry was not run. The registry entry -
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Default is changed. The value should look like this:""%1"%"
The virus will have changed it to the virus file name. Even though an executable cannot be run, a registry patch can be exported from another computer to a floppy, then insert the floppy into the affected computer, right click the reg file and select Merge- Reboot and the executable is problem solved.
Binks

ive had buggy things like that happen
couldnt start any programs from shortcuts on desktop
my solution
system restore!!!

Mugsy:

I have seen the Nimda virus cause that problem. The desktop shortcuts don't work, but you can right click the shortcut and choose open - they just don't work with the left mouse button. A system restore can fix, but you may still re-infect yourself as the virus may remain in a mail message, etc.
Binks

I have a similar problem, Install´s EXE´s like Packages of InstallShield only run one time, if i whant to run another i have to Reboot XP!!!!, Windows Shortcuts like Windows update dont work either.

My office aplications are always causing invalid erros protections, i should be in the Guiness Book of Records because in 10 Minutes of work i send about 6 Error Messages Report to Microsoft on-line XP Erros Database.

Any ideas?

Clean install of WXP Pro and Office XP Pro. Best Regards

---
JoaoTL
mail@jtl.co.pt
My MS Access Site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back