Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot restore from former data files

Status
Not open for further replies.

duah55

Vendor
Jan 23, 2005
BM
my drive was failing so i copied data from a W98 PC to a new PC running XP,but using peachtree 2003, I cannot restore from former data files, it says "file invalid".any solutions?

How, when and under what circumstances does it say "file invalid"? Did you reinstall Peachtree? Copying the files themselves is not sufficient.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

First of all, if you "copied" the data (folder and or files) to the new machine, then a restore will not be possible as only backup files can be restored. If however you copied backup files and are unable to restore this is a horse of a different color.

Has the drive on the old machine completly failed? If not, I suggest trying to restore to a new location on that drive first to see if the backup files are good. If they are not, try another backup. If it still fails to restore to the new system try to copy the data files only to the new system and try opening the company again. Be sure you are running the exact version and updates before trying this!

yes i copied backup files from bad disc,via burnt cd

so your saying this should restore?

disc is very unstable,about to fail

If the backup files are good you will be able to restore them to the new pc as long as it is running the exact version(including updates). If verify the same version including updates and still get the same error when trying to do a restore then the backup file must be corrupt. If you are still able to access peachtree in the old pc, you can try doing another backup. Otherwise you may have to try copying the raw data from the old pc to the new (not recommended unless you have no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back