Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot restart DB2: "Inconsistent state" error. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepDiverMom

Programmer
Jul 28, 2003
US
Background: I am a "Brand X" (Oracle) DBA by training and profession. I have inherited some DB2 installations to manage, as well. I am doing on-the-job training with DB2.

Problem: Yesterday, we discovered several DB2 run-away processes that were consuming most of the CPU resources of our Unix server. We attempted to do a "db2 force appliction all" followed by a "db2stop". We received an error (gone now, so I cannot quote it) that prevented a shutdown. We followed by killing the run-away processes and the rest of the db2 processes via the o/s. We used "ipcs" and "ipcrm" to detect and clean up any "dangling" DB2 processes.

Yet when we issues a "db2start", we receive the following response:
Code:
SQL1072C  The database manager resources are in an inconsistent state.  DB2 may have been incorrectly terminated, or another application may be using system resources in a way which conflicts with DB2's use of system resources.  System resource cleanup may be required.

We have followed the instructions resulting from a "db2 ? SQL1072C", but still receive the same message, above.

Can you please advise me what command(s) I should invoke next to cause the database to return to a consistent state and to successfully restart my database instance?

Thanks,

Becca

Becca,

I'll bet you are a victim of "un-dead" DB2 process. If you DB2 instance is still down, then it won't hurt to issue (from your o/s prompt) "db2_kill". That will ensure that your DB2 processes are killed off.

Next, try a "db2start", and see what happens.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 19:57 (10Jun04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 12:57 (10Jun04) Mountain Time)

Also
1.use 'db2stop force' command after forcing all the applications. [By this time all db2 processes should have been cleared]. If not,
2. Use ipclean and then ipcs to identify the segments and queues. Then finally use ipcrm to remove segments and queues.
Even thenif you find the db2-processes, then use kill -9 or kill -6 command.

ifxtechie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back