Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot resolve server name on workgroup PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmanyoung

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Have a DNS issue with my network. PC's that are not part of the domain cannot ping the "server2003" with its DNS name. They can ping it with the FQDN server2003.nyoung.net. They can also ping other PC's on the domain with just the computer name. PC's that are part of the domain can ping "server2003" without any problems. ALL PC's use the same DNS server. Thanks for any advice

Newman

Try adding the domain suffix (nyoung.net) to the domain suffix search list on the non-domain members in their TCP/IP Properties, DNS Tab. Your domain members are working because this is changed by default when you join a domain.

Is there anyway to have my DNS server add the suffix, since it's the DNS server for my LAN. I would like to avoid going to each non-domain workstation to make a local change. Thanks

If you use DHCP, configuring option 015 (DNS Domain Name) may actually work because DNS appends the current suffix first. If you don't use DHCP, you have to make the change on each workstation.

You can ease the work by doing it programmatically, but each workstation still needs to have the change made locally. You could script it, like so:
Code:
SET WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\SearchList", "nyoung.net", "REG_SZ"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back