Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot reset home page

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I have a system that has home page settings and connection settings greyed out. I went through gpedit.msc to try and find where it was disabled but everything looks normal. where else could something like this get set? this system is not part of a domain.

thanks in advance

Changes to these particular settings are often the result of a malware infection.

Try carrying out a thorough anti-malware check/clean.

Hope this helps...

320159 - Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly, or You Cannot Change Your Home Page Setting

323869 - Adult Content Web Site Is Unexpectedly Displayed in Browser Window When You Click Search

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido" now called "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5"

Windows Defender

It is also possible that some security type programs that you are already running may have settings that are set to prevent the changing of the IE Home Page?

well the only reason that makes me think of virus spyware etc..is that the pc won't even connect to the internet. it just freezes and only sometimes will load a page. our corporate put symantec on this PC. can you set these type of settings using symantec antivirus?

I'm afraid I cannot help you subvert whatever configuration that your Corporate IT sets.

Regards,

Rick

WOW "Rick998" you’re a great help...NOT.

Dvannoy, I'll get back to you on where you can change these settings in the registry and if you can't get there, I'll give you another work around..:)

People, are we at work? NO, so please people don't try to micro manage people's legitimate questions, especially when it relates to something so mundane as a homepage setting.

tngreg,

OP didn't mention until post 5 about 'corporate' (i.e. at work) but you immediately jump in to offer help to circumvent. That's what this forum needs... helpful professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back