Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot renew the default 169.. IP address on Win XP System

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwert85103

Technical User
Dec 27, 2003
US
Hi,

For some reason the default 169.. IP address cannot be renewed on my WIn XP Pro system. I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew, but they don't seem to work. Even /release does not make my network adapter release the 169.. default address. I have made sure that the NIC is properly connected to the cable modem and the ping 127.0.0.1 works fine.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If the nic card is not releasing or renewing id try to uninstall and reinstall the nic card. But before you try that shut off your computer and unplug your cable modem for about a minute, then plug your modem back in and let cycle through. Then turn on the computer and see if the address was picked up, If not then id try the uninstall and reinstall.

Good Luck!

All problems can be solved, if you just break them down to the basics.

Couple of things to consider here. You don't say of this is a new pc replacing another that worked or a new install. The very first thing to try is another pc if available to make sure the cable modem and nic cable are operational. The symptoms that you describe could go either way.
Another thing to consider is that some ISP's capture the MAC address of the pc connected to the cable modem and will not authenticate another mac attempting to do a DHCP request. If this is a new pc or a new nic, this might be a problem.

Assuming that the cable modem and nic cable are good, then look at the lights on the back of the network card to see if it is showing connected. If so, go into control panel and choose this network connection and choose properties. Check the box that says "show icon in taskbar when connected" This will give you some indication if your nic thinks it has a connection at the physical level and show you if it is passing traffic in both directions.

Reinstalling the nic drivers, physically removing and reinstalling the nic, are all steps to try.

Firewalls can also cause connectivity issues, but don't typically prevent getting an IP address on your nic.

Most motorola modems and most 3com modems will give you an internal ip address if you do a release and renew with the tv cable unplugged. You would normally get a 192. or a 149. address. This also could be a way to determine if you have basic connectivity to the cable modem. Unfortunately, this varies by manufacturer, and by how the modem is configured, but should work if you have one of those brands.

qwert85103,

If you found that FAQ helpful, and the Winsock Repair utility solved your problem, I would appreciate you taking the time to rate the FAQ, a feature found at the bottom of every FAQ.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back