Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot remote to some Windows 7 clients and server

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2010
US
I am troubleshooting both a remote desktop and Remote Web Workplace issue on several Windows 7 clients. I am only able to use Remote Desktop on the local network and Remote Web Workplace inside or outside on one Windows 7 client machine. The other 4 clients and the Windows SBS Server 2003 are inaccessible. I can ping by IP and name to all involved. Remote desktop with appropriate user's is enabled on all clients. Terminal Services is starting and running correctly. I'm wondering if the firewall may be the issue but have been unable to successfuly disable to find out.

I followed the following steps in my attempt to disable the firewall:

There should be two GPO's that are related to the XP Firewall, one for PreSP2 and one that is PostSP2. DO NOT DELETE THESE... because if you do, and you decide that you want to reverse this decision it is much easier to not have to totally recreate the GPOs. Instead, just right click > GPO Status > All Settings Disabled.

I also read that I should repeat the same process but to choose Vista under the GPO Status for Vista and Windows 7. Yet I go to the client machine and the firewall reports that it is on and being controlled by the domain.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue further?

Instead of disabling the GPO make the GPO turn the firewall off. That way it can stay in effect but not get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back