Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Receive mail. Relay issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcolmer25

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
IE
Hi ,

i am having a problem with my exchange server. I can send mail no problem but if i send a mail to my server from an external ISP mail account it comes back with the following

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at eircom.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<info@domain.info>:
21x.xx.2x7.1xx does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for info@domain.info
Giving up on 21x.xx.2x7.1xx.

In the SMTP Virtual server, i have gone into relay and selected "only the list below" and added in the LAN IP of my exchange server and checked box below about mail servers able to authenticate.

I can also telnet into the mail server from the outside on port 25. No prob.

I had made the mistake before of leaving server open for relay and i found out the hard way!!!.

Really my question is, how can i receive mail from other external mail addresses but also keeping relay secured as i do not want a repeat of last time!! If i allow relaying of course i can receive mail but when i secure it i cannot. I know i am probably missing somthing stupid and any advice etc is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Max

You don't need any relaying open to receive mail.
Since your Telnet works, the port 25 seems ok too.
Did you double (triple) check the MX records for your domain, as well as with your ISP, they could have it wrong.
Start there.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

HI Marc,

Thanks for the quick response. The Mx i am using is mail.weddingintuscany.info and i am also using Dynamic DNS. I have done an NSlookup and my domain resolves to the current Dynamic IP that i have from my ISP. In the relay option in SMTP VS should i have the box ticked or unticked for "allow all computers which sucessfully authenticate to relay"

thanks

Max

allow all computers which sucessfully authenticate to relay:
YES

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hi Marc,

I have that selected and when in SMTP Virtual server properties and in relay, If i "allow all except in list below" with nothing in it i can receive mail no prob. To my unserstanding this leaves me open as a relay? Then when i select "only in list below" and add in the LAN IP of my exchange 2000 server, i then click on DNS lookup and it resolves the IP to my server FQDN. Is this the correct way of doing this?

I agree that i should be able to receive mail while securing server from Relaying but this really has me. I am no expert with exchange but know only the basics.

Is there anything i am missing

Thanks

Max

Sorry i forgot to mention in last post when i was saying that when i selected the "only in list below" and added in server, it then would not allow mail to be received and if i sent from my external account within a few seconds i would receive the following:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at eircom.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<info@weddingintuscany.info>:
213.94.237.198 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for info@weddingintuscany.info
Giving up on 213.94.237.198.

Hmm, maybe the problem comes from the fact you are using dynamic DNS... If you are running a business where emails are important, you should get a static IP. Some ISP don't allow emails to be forwarded to dynamic IPs. It might be a reverse PTR record issue also because dynamic IP connections have a generic PTR record...

Hi akWong,

Thank you for the reply, but i cannot understand that when i allow open relay i can send and receive mail no problem. Once i secure the server by only allowing my SMTP mail server to relay mail i can send no problem but when i try to receive the sender gets message that i posted above saying that my server will not allow relaying.

The Dynamic DNS company i am with knows my domain name and i have a dyn dns client on my server that is constantly talking to the dyn dns server to keep updated on any dynamic IP changes. The IP usually changes every 2-3 weeks of if i poower down router it then receives a new Dynamic address from my ISP. This server is not a crtitical mail server, its just for a small site that i am running but i really would love to get it sorted.

Any ideas???

Max

Max, check the FAQs about relaying.

It is not because you say yes to that setting that you are open for relaying, so you should be ok.
YOu can always test with telnet to try and relay yourself, using a different domain.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back