Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot read hard drive without "format disk" messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfujino

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
Hi,

My hard drive crashed and I need to recover the data. When I put it into my second computer (which is basically the same type of computer) as a slave, I can see the drive. But when I try to access it, I get the message that the disk is not formatted.

Does anyone know how I can still access the data?

Thanks!

What OS is on both computers? Fat 32 can't see NTFS. If they are both the same, go to the mfg of the "bad" harddrive and download the diagnostic software.

The one with the bad hard drive is Windows XP pro and the other is Windows XP Home. I will take your suggesting to go to the manufacturer's website - thanks!

No, I just booted it up this morning and all I got was an error message saying something like "a disk read error has occured". From there, I could not get it to boot. That's when I took it out of that machine and then put it into my second computer.

The OS isn't the important thing. XP can be formatted in Fat32 or NTFS. What file system are you using? (Device Manager > Hard drive > properties).

Yes, it is NTSF on both drives. I put in a new hard drive and installed the bad one as a slave. I finally purchased Easy Recovery....the trial version allowed me to see some of the files on the bad hard drive. I'm setting it up now and am about to run a scan to recover the files that I need.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the important files that I need. I know, I should have backed up, but I was "going to do that tomorrow".

It's the old tag-line: "Back-up? I thought you were doing the ba.....".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back