Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot read error messages from server

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeemasp

Programmer
Jun 1, 2004
GB

I've deployed an asp.net application to a server, but receive the following message, thus not allowing me to see the errors. What do I need to config to get the error messages.

Error message is:

Server Error in '/Admin' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Redeem.

Do you have access to your web.config file? If so, change the customErrors mode to off as it suggests. If you don't, you can always use Try....Catch to catch your error and then display it somewhere useful.

Chris

The <customErrors mode="Off" /> is already in my web.config. I can view the error message on the server, but not on my PC or any PC's accessing the server?

any idea? are the extra configuations needed?

Ummm, if you can view the error on the server, why not fix the problem causing it?

Chip H.

Because I should have to remote terminal into the server to debug the app. All my other app I can do it from my local PC.

My web.config is okay, Virtual Dir is set up, and permissions on the folders are fine.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back