Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot read datamatrix code from a pdf file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrield

Programmer
Jun 16, 2007
RO
I have a problem reading some Datamatrix codes from the attached pdf.I can read the one from page 30 but I cant read the other two from page 29 and from page 31.Tried to read on screen and on printed pdf too.
I use DS9208 and I tried many configurations.The scanner reads all Datamatrix codes I could find on net with no error from the screen.My guess is that the 2 codes I try to read are not correct or i have to do more configuring on scanner.Can somebody try to read them and see if they are correct or no ?

As you seem to know, if you can't read a barcode it can be caused by a number of issues.

1. Barcode not being 'seen' by reader properly
* Insufficient contrast ratio between dark & light areas
* Colored or patterned backgrounds affecting how reader 'sees' the light areas
* And other issues relating to how the barcode 'appears' to the reader.
2. Barcode reader not interpreting the code correctly.
* Reader not supporting particular barcode symbologies
* Reader not working properly
* etc.
3. Barcode image not written correctly
* Printer and/or its driver not capable of rendering barcode font properly
* Barcode writing software not generating proper image
* etc.

With all of those possible sources of problems (and more!), you need to begin eliminating the various variables and narrowing the focus of investigation.

You say that your reader can read the barcode image on one of the pages of a PDF file.

Is that situation consistent for all subsequent printings of the same PDF file or does it vary from print-out to print-out?

Can the non-readable barcode images be generated using the same software and printed on separate documents (not part of that particular PSF document)?

Rather than trying to find out what success (or not) others might experience, you need to find the source of your problem and resolve it.

If you narrow the focus of the problem down more and still have not arrived at a resolution, come back and we'll see if we can help you better.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I used (an old version of) the free barcode tester bcTester (from ) to analyse the images.

All three bar-codes appear to be valid DataMatrix (ECC200) codes; the contents (with non-graphic characters being represented by # characters) are as shown below.

It's probable that the contents of each code are encrypted in some way (they certainly don't look like plain text).

Page 29: DataMatrix (ECC200)

PK##-#####*w¤@=#!#ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ####array####+#######Ê#########M#Ó0##Ëe/ü##Ïiê#¤M¤¶#㤻ANlâtù¸UÛ#Ë"Pé^ø#üax#t%##øâñÌø#gÞÙ#Ùlö#g¸#s5#߯Ö##Ù0]#²Ú1#í##©#t#3ò###$adP#\HDh##Xeé##Ûo#Ña^0ªË©cÎ#¹DÉô(Ù#m×¾$(q#"#´eÔ¿Û°#-ø#p©ÔRe©#Ùr#eK9èî0®v-##À;_#³GVo#;##÷##^=#㢾q]Dá|#¥¤²2UStu#Q#DDÅC¬P½#Ó#ô#XI#Qu#ó#­s###eΧÇ{F%#)#MKý|#`ñN°xÓ¡chè###un\ªîÇ+¼E#Q##D#çs®æ##v~¬.¶ër\÷M#¦"ç\A#³³DL#г¸à£Å##O###þ#PÃDÝ»îV#^÷u»#ÿ Á#ë#Þî`·k|#Ó®¶M#Y¨#¿x_3z##SØnÆA#â#i#PRý#BN####_/##kª^#÷##pþéîãâøùÛa#ñ{[ÄT·7Ú^@è##¿#d«##¶^?wÅ##Hð##ú#Éèî¶*këì#I¦¿Ù2r#ÿp,üöåOPK##-#-#####*w¤@=#!#ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ##################array####+#######Ê#######PK##########G#########

Page 30: DataMatrix (ECC200)

PK##-#####Iw¤@\##<ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ####array###########e#######-#=##0##ëââ%#Ù#}R#+hu#D#Õ3xÿ#è+ú-IH¢2¥Ô#$MäÉÜ} è#ÆÉÏ#(î#l~##¢dÁZ##®2\###[n»º#####£#@ëü-´©µI#Sªm##Cñ#PK##-#-#####Iw¤@\##<ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ##################array###########e#######PK##########G#########

Page 31: DataMatrix (ECC200)

PK##-#####/#¢@##!Bÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ####array####################­#M#Ó0##Ë#!ñ',ßëú3#Ò¦Rj'»AIãMÒ²Ë###8ññ÷#×ö#Ò®##9Ôö#=óÌ;ÓÕ#Õjõ#_XÃ÷2l¾¿ºñd¶#­wÖ5-%ó¾¢B*m²¼(9%~>#)±Á§t##^èLr®8Ïqk< Âèç}ý##ÎUTr!×\¯ex¶T´##º½ñ# \##Ó\÷###l##ûs#å±¢##!#æ&##s] m®´Ð¦¤¤ÅåÛ»f#ðCI###}3ÛCÊ5##%5#¿~þö####ëêK®aªh#çp,!9%Ó#áº%.ó#¬#ì#!ÊB­#_+##«êZ#oo¶7­#ºH%##òZ#$#R&±i.²²Ì#Ñ\#R+ͳ@p#<#Fö¨Ïsi;###Ù]#ìm##s#»#Y##¥ò#»ÇbÃ#`HÊ8###.Ø#T#MYvþ¤]#vÙÎOcÛ##µíö#HkãûáÖ¡#-üãà'FÚ®###! õ#w#%÷¨#¡mÌþ$ê#T##g#Ë'Ðâß Æ\#Ê#úñý§/'Ò¾#ºå#ý<£#? #¦ïv##£ëÚÄ-È#<»###Ý#\ROÈ­YÀöè#b##í#'%#aèÃV°<üY####i#ö#Ï##M;"B#«ó¸#ê¼###é±(#-pé´;5ûÙ#$^H»qgy5/#_sP#qü#¼AOõ¿õT¿é#{w=##¿}ý#PK##-#-#####/#¢@##!Bÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ##################array####################PK##########G###Q#####

Thank you DansDadUK.
I downloaded latest version of bctester and could read all three.
I have to work more on my scanner settings then.
(Their content is a xml file wich was serialized into a byte array then compressed with javazip then coded in base 256 and finally transformed into a datamatrix code.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back