Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot RDP to Win2003 box

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulent

MIS
Dec 6, 2006
US
I have enabled RDP on a Win2003 box, and I cannot get to it remotely. It has network access, can share files, has a static IP, and can be pinged, yet I still cannot get to it.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Make sure that the username you are logging on with has remote access privileges.

Also, if there is a firewall in between, make sure it's not blocking the RDP client.

I am using the domain admin account and it works fine on the other Win2003 servers. As for firewalls, they are all connected thru the same switch, and the firewall service on this box is disabled. There are no other software-based firewalls installed.

Other ideas? Thanks

Can you tell us what's happening? Are you getting denied login (in which case the above suggestions might apply), or are you just not getting to the server? You can run a portqry test against the box to see if RDP is listening, and on the right port.

New features and functionality in PortQry version 2.0

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

When I try loggin in, I get this message:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. if the problem continues, contact th eowner of the remote computer or your network admin.

Seems like I'm just getting the box at all. How do I run portqry?

That's not a user account problem then. Sounds like something is blocked or RDP isn't running.
Google the RDP service name and see if it's running.

portqry will tell you if the server is listening on that port.
sc will tell you if the service is even running

sc \\servername termservice
portqry -n servername -e 3389

SDPT said:
you could try to use VNC....

Not an effective solution to determining why RDP isn't working.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back