Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot push data from DTS to Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSuit

Programmer
May 9, 2001
US
I created a Stored Proc, which pulls data into a temp (named - #temp) table and then selects “all” from the #temp table. All of the data is returned as it should and the proc “runs” as it should – no exceptions or errors.

I then create a DTS package with a connection From SQL and a connection To an Access Database with a “Transformation Data Task (TDT)” between the two.

On the source for the “TDT” I use query: “EXEC ReportProc”. I can preview the query and get the data I saw when I ran the proc in the query analyzer. No problems.

I cannot create a destination or any transformations – i.e. I cannot send the data to Access. I get the following error:
Error Description: Invalid object name `#temp`

I figure this error occurs because this is a “temp” table and it is dropped after the PROC is run – however, that does not explain why I can get the data in the preview by exec the PROC but still cannot drop the data into access.

Is there any way to gather data from a Stored Proc, Exec it in a DTS package, and then export it to Access from the DTS

Thanks

Someone recommended using a global temporary table instead of a local temp table. Change #temp to ##temp in the SP and try that. I've not tried it, so no guarantees. Terry

X-) "Life would be easier if I had the source code." -Anonymous

Terry thx for the suggestion. I tried that when the localized variable did not work. The globals did not work until I made the adjustments below.

You got me thinking about the usage of those variables though....and this is how I fixed it:

-I used Global vars (##)
-I found that when you build a DTS package and call a SP( with a global var) from a box other than the machine that the DTS is on - the Global Var will not be recognized.
-I used a Execute SQL Task (Drop Table ##x) in the DTS, instead of in the SP. Execute at the end of the package.

Thanks again for all of your help and patience.

Great! Glad you got it to work and shared the solution. Terry

;-) "When I hear somebody sigh, 'life is hard', I am always tempted to ask, 'compared to what'?" - Sydney Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back