Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CANNOT PRINT FROM DOCKING STATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

isibee

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Please help, I gotta fix this. I bought a Targus universal usb docking station for this new laptop. On it there is a printer port. Everything was detected with the drivers but no printer is detected!

I cannot print anything from windows or office and the user needs it to print from Unix. I looked up for some updated drivers from the web site and nothing...

Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on?

thanks

thanks,
Josée Parent
(photo gallery)

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity!"

The ones I see don't have a printer port. Which model do you have?

The answer is "42"

Targus ACP45CA, even tried talking with the Targus people but to no success...they are only level one support...

thanks,
Josée Parent
(photo gallery)

Well, for emergency's sake, you can always plug the printer directly into the laptop and get 'er done. Honestly I have moved away from docking stations in general and USB docking stations in particular. The only ones I have found reliable are the OEM ones where there is a base that the laptop slides along with a locking handle to drive the multi-pin connection home...a la Dell.

I tried a similar Targus model to the one you are using...ended up on eBay. To have to plug in docking station, power, video & modem every time was almost as hard as connecting everything...plus the Targus did not have a Gigabit NIC, which the laptop did.

The all-in-one ASUS docking station that went with the laptop was truly an all-in-one, but its finicky multi-pin connector went sour over the years.

Now I just unplug & re-plug everything, takes a few more seconds but a lot less frustration. A USB hub alone could help with # of connections.

Remember this is a third-party device and they could not care less how it works with YOUR machine, just the average machine. If you want the right docking station, spend the $$$ and get one made for that machine.

Preaching done. I noticed in the specs it comes with a unit driver, I am sure that's installed, but it also mentions (2) powered USB ports and (2) standard ports, maybe try swapping.

If parallel printer just hook it up to the laptop

I bought the docking station partly because the laptop did not come with a printer port...

thanks,
Josée Parent
(photo gallery)

Make sure your parallel ports are enabled in BIOS. Enable all the COM ports & USB ports while you're in there. I know it should not matter but what the hey. Some laptops have infrared that needs to be enabled in BIOS, then you can buy a iRda-to-parallel adapter for the printer if all else fails:

My gut feels it's a printer driver issue, have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the printer's website? Some drivers need to be installed BEFORE the printer is connected, others after.

Tony

I have seen issues with docking stations that cannot use the parallel port in Bi-directional mode. Check in the BIOS if the parallel port is Bi-Directional. If is change the mode to simple or uni-directional. Might work, i dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back