Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping other side of win2k server network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerDaKat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
US
We have a server in an industrial environment that running an IP numbering scheme of 138.2.0.x on one segment and 192.168.1.x on the LAN side.
A windows 2000 server with dual nics sits between the two.
Our problem is that from one segment, we cannot ping the ip numbers on the other site.
When I am on the 138.2.0.x segment and try to ping 192.168.1.1 for instance, I get a hardware error.
Do I need to add a route add statement on my server or workstations? Can this be done through RRAS?

So 192 can see 138, but 138 can't see 192? What kind of error?

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

when I ping either side from the other subnet, it says hardware error instead of a reply.

It says "hardware error" instead of replying to my ping request.
I've seen destination host unreachable errors, but never one that says hardware error.
What would be the "route add" commands that I might have to add to the server to let traffic from each subnet pass through? I wonder if that's the problem.

Eric

yes, but if I'm on the 138.2.x.x segment I cannot ping the ip address of 192.168.x.x network card in the server.
I can ping the nic in the server on the same segment, but not the other one.
Thanks for working with me on this one....

Eric

That means you need to go into rras and enable routing. When in rras right click on your server then pick configure your server from the menu, then pick the router option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back