Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping local server, by IP or by name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardkng

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Ok, having a real issue here. I suspect a DNS issue, but I cant nail it down.

Just installed a new Domain Controller, added it to the 2000 domain, etc etc. All went well, AD replicated just fine.

I have TrendMicro Client/Server installed on another server on the network, running server 2003. The client automatically installed on the new 2008 server when I logged into the domain, but it cannot update.

Trendmicro says to check for network connectivity to the server...well duh...turns out I cannot even ping it (from the new 2008 server).

I can ping most all the machines on the network (from the new 2008), servers and most workstations, but some I cannot ping. On those workstations that I cannot ping, I also cannot ping FROM them back to the 2008 server either. Either by name or IP.

So basically what Ive got here is a group of machines that I cannot ping or browse. I can ping the old DC (2000 server), "Windows Powered" (NAS appliances), some XP workstations but not all, and all laptops (XP)

I cannot ping some workstations (XP pro), nor server 2003 (not a DC)

I had DNS running on the old 2000 DC, and set up an additional DNS server on the new 2008 server.

When I try to ping the 2003 server, from the new 2008 DC, i get: Reply from 192.168.0.6: Destination host unreachable.

Now, the IP referenced here, (192.168.0.6) is the local IP of this 2008 server Im trying to ping from. Ive tried with the local DNS off, and on.

Even with DNS off on the 2008 server, I still get:

Pinging 192.168.0.29 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.6: Destination host unreachable.

Shouldnt the OTHER DNS server be replying?

Please help!

And thank you!

The destination host unreachable is very likely a firewall. I'd bet the farm on it. Don't forget about antivirus programs with "worm blocking", too...

Burt

Guess I forgot to mention that....

I have tried with windows firewall and antivirus disabled on both machines.

The other reason for destination host not reachable is when the computer that is being pinged does not have a return route to the computer doing the pinging. Pings need two way communication.

Burt

By return route, I suppose you mean a link between the two servers, as in a physical link?

Theyre both connected to a switch, and the 2008 server im having a problem with can ping other systems plugged into the same switch.

What is the actual address of the '08 server?
What is the actual address of the '03 server?
Please verify that these are the real addresses and not just what DNS is reporting. Get on the console of each server and do "ipconfig /all".

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Check the default gateway of the 08 server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back