Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Ping Linux Mandrake 10 from other Win PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dijital

MIS
Mar 15, 2002
US
I guess it's not a big deal, but I currently cant ping my linux box from another system. I can ping the loopback, assigned IP, access the internet (obviously eh?), and I can ping other resources, but cannot ping the linux box.
Dont think it's impacting me negatively currently, but just was curious as to why.

Jim Connors

Is there a firewall running? What did you set for the 'Security level'?

The security level is set for a normal desktop; believe this is "Normal".

I'm planning on using this as a server, but wanted to manually make all the needed security changes for learning purposes.

You say you can ping the assigned IP, so I assume your problem is that you can't ping the linux box by name. Do you have DNS set up anywhere? The winbloat boxes don't need it to find each other's names, they use the WINS/Master Browser splatterfest for name resolution. Linux does not, it wants DNS name resolution.

If you have DNS set up, make sure you have an entry for the linux box. If you don't have DNS (and don't want to set it up) you can manually put an entry for the linux box in the HOSTS file on the PC you're pinging from.

Let me clarify - From an Xterm, I can ping the loopback, and the assigned IP (This is from/to the same box.)

From other boxes on my network I cannot ping the linux IP. BUT, I can telnet to it. It almost seems like it is not responding to echo requests, but is listening for telnet port requests.

I've seen some firewalls block ICMP requests to prevent smurf attacks (DoS). Check to see if your port 7 is open for both TCP and UDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back