Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping internal IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjamil

Programmer
Aug 30, 2001
US
I have a question, which is hopefully a illy one and easily fixed. I have my computer, acting as an internet connection sharing machine with two NIC's in it. I have tried everything but I can't ping any IP's of my internal network. What can I do, I can ping my internal addresses fine in Windows 98.
Thanks

Did you install and set up ICS? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James,
No actually I am using a program called Sygate from Sybergen. However I don't really know if that's got anything to do with it, as I was using the same program in Win98 without any averse effects on my internal network pinging abilities. The pinging is not really the biggest issue for me, it's more that I can't play Age of Empires II mutliplayer on my Win2k system with the dual NIC's (one for DSL connection, the other for internal network), and I believe that the pinging problem is another manifestation of the same problem.

I did a little experimentation today, and this is what i found. The pinging of internal IP's would work fine if I took out the other network card (DSL connection). However, once I put back the other card the same problems started occuring. To confuse the matter more, I attempted to ping myself (unicron, I know, you all can congratulate me later on for being a total dork) and the proper IP showed. however when i attempted to pathping another internal IP, the DSL NIC's IP would show up as Unicron. Without further ado here's my trace,

C:\>ping unicron

Pinging unicron [192.168.0.72] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.72: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.72:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>pathping wheeljack

Tracing route to Wheeljack [192.168.0.7]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 unicron [192.168.0.88]
1 ...
Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 unicron [192.168.0.88]
100/ 100 =100% |
1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% unicron [0.0.0.0]

C:\>pathping unicron

Tracing route to unicron [192.168.0.72]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 unicron [192.168.0.72]
1 unicron [192.168.0.72]

I know this is a looooong post, but it's really rather puzzling to me.
Thanks

Is your workgroup name correctly set in DNS? All clients must know how to talk to the gateway in DNS settings.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Well, it's not the clients that have a problem pinging the gateway, it's the gateway that's having problems pinging the gateway. But, I guess I could try out condiguring a DNS server for all the clients in the workgroup (hmmmm, what exactly would I put as the DNS server when there is no true server in the workgroup?).
Thanx

Go into the prompt and physically type in a route_add statement to ensure that it can see all routes on the network. It (as a gateway) will only see the route that is currently residing on this machine.

Check your Firewall to make sure you have Outbound and Inbound ICMP Echo requests and replies enabled... otherwise you won't be able to PING.

Not entirely sure that this will work, but could you install the NetBEUI protocol on every machine and use that for your internal network, instead of TCP/IP?

Try pinging then.

James.

Also, do NOT share IRQ's with the same NIC..only one will work at a time per O/S.

If your DNS settings are corect, you should use the gateway, and LAN address to ping..not hostnames. Make sure LMhost lookup is checked, and have you renamed a machine lately? This can cause another issue not yet addressed here..

Ping ip addresses of the gateway, and other NIC..let us know what happens.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

All,
Just wanted to thank you guys for your responses so far, but unfortunately my comp went down due to disk crash, however I just reinstalled WIN2K and am back up and running. Also, with the occurrence of the tragedy in NYC, which is a little too close for comfort, bot being able to ping seemed pretty inconsequential. However, I have a simple question, why would I be able to ping clients from the gateway in Win98, but not in Win2K? I will try to run through the gamut of your guys suggestions tonioght, and then get back to you.
Thanks,
Ghalib

PS_ Good lord, peter jennings is a god

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back