Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping computer by name via wireless peer to peer connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

planet366

MIS
Sep 23, 2003
US
I am having problems getting a computer to resolve ip addresses to computer names. Here is my scenario.
Two laptops with windows XP Pro SP2.
Using either a static IP or windows private ip address.
Connecting via a peer to peer wireless network.

The computers are able to see each other via IP address.
If I use a host file the PC's communicate by name as well. The host file is not an option.

It appears that the trouble PC is not broadcasting. If I run an NBTSTAT -r my return is 4 0's. Nothing resolved and nothing registered. The trouble computer is able to ping it self by name.

This is one of 20 computers that were all setup the same way. This is the only one that does not work.

Any suggestions?

Your depending on a Master Browser scenario. It can take hours before you see your computer names on the network, and maybe never if you've turned off your Computer Browser service and/or your Netbios over TCP/IP option is turned off.

If you do not want to run these services, than you will need a WINS server or a DNS server to resolve the name(s).

I have also seen cases of LSP (Winsock) corruptions that have the same effect (you can ping IP but cannot resolve. These were caused by either Spyware or VPN installations (namely Cisco with other VPN's don't play nice). There is a KB about the NETSH command that fixes this.

In space, nobody can hear you click

Wins will not resove names on xp. The issue is dns. However, since you are only trying to resolve between 2 laptops, I would personally use a hosts file. Much easier than fighting dns without a server in place. Since you did not mention a server, I can only guess this is the situation. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
Tickety-boo all.

Hi,

Turn off Windows Firewall and then try it will work out or else you can add ICMP in exception list of the Windows Firewall under Control Panel.

On the problem computer go into the properties of Network Neighborhood, properties for the wireless card, properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), advanced button, WINS tab and make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled.

UPDATE:
It appears that the computer refuses to Broadcast. I have reset TCP/IP, and Netbios is enabled. When looking at nbtstat it appears that the computer is not sending out any broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back