Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping certain sites, other sites work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denim

Programmer
Dec 21, 2001
CA
I don't know much about tcp/ip so I am hoping someone can help me...

I am using my laptop on a home network and for some strange reason, I can't access certain sites like icq.com and about.com on my laptop. I can go to yahoo.com on the laptop but if I try to run a search on yahoo.com the search doesn't run because my laptop won't go to search.yahoo.com.

I tried pinging the problem sites/ip addresses and it cannot connect (request timed out). Also ran a trace route to 205.188.248.89 (icq.com) and it stopped at 205.188.130.98

I don't understand this since I can access hotmail.com and many other sites on my laptop, the laptop just has problems with certain sites. Anyone have a suggestion?

Everything works fine from the other computer on the network.

Thanks for your help,

Denim

What dns addresses are you using? If you can not even ping them from a dos prompt I would change it. try earthlink
207.217.128.1 cox dns 24.10.0.5 Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

that's very strange.. if u can reach some sites, and other u can't, well, u need to look at 2 things...

first is DNS.. u r u running your own DNS server, if so, what type, and is your root.cache file up-to-date..if not, call your ISP and find out what's going on..

secondly, and more importantly, is your routing.. r u running your own router.. or r u relying on that of the ISP.. if so, your ISP may be having problems with one of their ciruits or providers... oh, carries such Level3, could be experiencing problems linking to operators that host those sites... this can be caused by regular system maintenance on their part, or bad weather... [ i hope rodents didn't eat up the fibre]..

u need to ask your ISP if they have their routing setup ok.. and aren't having any related problems...

good luck

Hi. I have the same problem as denim. I have a ADSL connection, and the computer connected to the modem is working fine. Then, there's a twisted IP-cable to another computer which CAN'T BROWSE CERTAIN SITES! I use XP on both computers. This is really weird. Most sites in my own country (Norway) works, though. Can anyone please help me?

Could simply be your DNS server is not updating its tables correctly or it doesn't bother asking another DNS for the IP and just says no.

I'm v interested in Jetters comment. I didn't realise you could specify which DNS you use thats good? So how does that work I didn't quite understand what you actually typed.

207.217.128.1 cox dns 24.10.0.5 <----

Could you put hotmail.com cox dns 24.10.0.5 in the browser to tell the browser look for hotmail.com using my specified dns server and not my default one. Or am I totally missing the point with your post. Either way is the aforementioned possible.

PS. remember although its not the best solution you can always as a temporary fix go to samspade.org ( 206.117.161.80 ) and get the IP address of the website you need then type that directly into the browser.

Cheers

Chris

so if it is timing out on 205.188.130.98 is that your ISP or is it just a router on the way to icq.com?

btw if you are pinging ip's then dns means nothing as nothing needs resolving...

ping with -t ie ping -t or the ip, may be packet loss through a router

Hi,
I am getting error: Login failed due to:Remote Host Not Responding

Any ideas anyone?

Are there some proxy settings in your way?

could be that if youre using your computer on a modem , there are some routing info that has not been removed

the computer could looking for those sites on the wrong interface

&quot;route -f&quot; could work, or maybe disabling your modem
and maybe an &quot;arp -d&quot;

just suggestions, don't try it if you don't know what youre doing

Just to expand on my problem,

Both computers are running XP. The desktop is the main computer thru which my ADSL modem is connected. The desktop reaches all sites.

The laptop is connected using a Linksys 5port hub.

I cannot browse to about.com and icq.com on my laptop browser. However, if I use a proxy server such as surfola.com on my laptop, I reach both sites.

Please provide step-by-step intructions for any suggestions as I am a total newbie when it comes to IP configuration.

Thanks everyone,

Denim

Problem is probably as I described earlier, but I've personally only seen it on windows 9x (yet).
Changing the ip-settings on your modems and network interfaces could be enough.
Reinstalling them almost certainly would help.
What happens if you use tracert?

Try searching microsoft's knowledgebase or technet for the symptoms.

Denim-

I agree w/ the other who think this is a DNS problem.

Here's a quick and easy test:

Type &quot; &quot; (the ip address you've given for icq.com) into your browsers address bar and see if that works. If it does, you know your problem is with whatever DNS server you have the laptop pointed towards. Trying to traceroute or ping to a site like icq.com is not a good test because a lot of big sites like these filter ICMP traffic to help prevent DoS attacks and the like.

hey everyone, how can i find out the ip of someone i am talking to on msn messenger?

benzito, put the item in the browser and it connected fine.

You said &quot;If it does, you know your problem is with whatever DNS server you have the laptop pointed towards.&quot;

How do you change or check that..

Dual post. In the case of my Linksys combo switch and router

I finally got the router to ping out. It was being caused by ZoneAlarm and a setting in the Filter to disable the block &quot;Wan Request&quot;

Even though ZoneAlarm was turned off, apparantly some parts of the MinLog and True Vector interfere.

Denim-

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar w/ XP. In general what you'll need to do is change your DNS settings under your TCP / IP Properties. If you find that your DNS settings are set to automatically find a DNS Server I'd call you r ISP and have them give you the ip's of their DNS servers. Manaully enter these into the DNS settings and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back