Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axothor

Programmer
Apr 16, 2012
US
Background:
This code is ran in a service. For every user this code is called to reset their password for this application. This is an SSO environment, but the error is reproducable outside the environment.

The error is that occasionally, I get a Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference. I have checked that it isn't a data issue by doing this process manually. Also, I am new to this forum so if I am breaking some etiquette don't hesitate to scold me :).

The code:

EXTRA.ExtraSystem system = new EXTRA.ExtraSystem();
EXTRA.ExtraSessions sessions = system.Sessions;

var session = sessions.Open("X.adp");

try
{
Thread.Sleep(2000);

*I GET THE NULL REFERENCE ERROR BELOW THIS LINE

var status = session.Screen.OIA.Xstatus;
session.Visible = true;

LOG *I GET THE NULL REFERENCE ERROR BEFORE THIS LINE

Thread.Sleep(500);

session.Screen.Sendkeys("<Clear>");

session.Screen.Sendkeys("/rcl<Enter>");
session.Screen.WaitHostQuiet(1000);
Thread.Sleep(1000);

*POPULATING SCREEN*

*Gets Screen Response and determins if successful
string screenResponse = session.Screen.GetString(23, 1, 70);

session.Screen.Sendkeys("<Clear>");
session.Screen.WaitHostQuiet(1000);

session.Screen.Sendkeys("/rcl<Enter>"); //logout|disconnect
session.Screen.WaitHostQuiet(3000);
Thread.Sleep(1000);
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
*Handle Error*
}
finally
{
session.Visible = false;

Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(sessions);
Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(system);
Thread.Sleep(500);
}

Technology:
C#
Attachmate EXTRA! 7.1 Object Library

My questions:
1.) Being that this happens not often, I am thinking this may due with me accessing some variable when it isn't ready yet. Does anyone see anything that may be wrong from that perspective.

2.) What is the proper way to marhsall these objects from life to death? Anything else I maybe missing here?

3.) How should I properly treat var status = session.Screen.OIA.Xstatus? I have noticed in some forum entries that this is encased in a loop waiting for the value to change to 0? Is this expected or normal behavior? I have also noticed many, maybe more so entires where this value is completely ignored.

4.) Any other tips or suggestions is helpful. Thanks

I am not sure if this is the wrong forum but if it is please let me know. If it isn't here is an update:

I built a seperate application, this time a desktop C# windows form application. I copied the code and ran it from that application and it worked. The things that are different are:
one is a service and one is a desktop app
one runs under a service user account the other runs under the user account

The desktop works but the service doesn't.

Other things to note, though these may appear to be obvious to this group, is that after running
EXTRA.ExtraSystem system = new EXTRA.ExtraSystem();
EXTRA.ExtraSessions sessions = system.Sessions;

Two processes appear and inherit the callers security credentials, ie if the windows form app is executed by me the two new processes also spawned are under my security context as well.

These are:

AccMgr32
AccSmngr

These appear to manage attachmates session and application processes for emulation and connectivity to the mainframe. One of the thoughts I am playing with is that these credentials may not have access to something required. But I have confirmed that the security credentials would not have changed recently.

Any thoughts?

Well it looks like this problem is with some DCOM settings spawning the AccSmngr as a different user then the calling application. It turns out that the security settings needed to associate the two then the processes were able to work as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back