Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot PDF file creation in Word Perfect 9 under Windows XP user

Status
Not open for further replies.

elipou

Programmer
Feb 2, 2003
US
I installed acrobat 5.0 and WordPerfect 9 on a lab computer running Windows XP, where students will be using the applications and need to be restricted as 'users'. When creating a pdf file as an administrator, the file gets created. However, when doing so as a user, nothing happens. I have tried the options 'file->publish to pdf', and
'file->print->acrobat distiller' and 'file->print->acrobat pdf writer' and still no pdf file is created. I granted the user administrative privileges and only this way the pdf file was created. But after taking away the privileges, I am back to the same situation, the restricted user cannot create the pdf file. No error message is shown. The only thing is that nothing happens on the user end and I cannot make this users unrestricted, otherwise these computer labs will be in chaos. I'd greatly appriciate any suggestions.

I am having this same issue, and wonder if anyone has solved this problem.

By the way, my restricted users can not create pdf files from ANY application.

Many, many applications have problems with XP's "limited user" accounts (or whatever the actual term is). This is really a Microsoft problem.

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Thanks tgreer. Are you saying you don't think there is an Adobe resolution to this?

Are you serious? Adobe doesn't resolve issues! And any search on their site will either leave you 1) standing outside the locked door of the "ASN", or 2) looking at search results that contain none of your search terms but excellent articles on PageMaker for Mac.

Err, ahem. Yes, I'm saying that in this case, it's not an Adobe issue, but rather is due to short-sightedness on Microsoft's part.

Note that the XP "Limited User" account is only used on machines that aren't part of a domain.

If you put this machine on your network, and authenticate to the domain, you get much more flexibility in your user accounts. You can create accounts that have all of the necessary priviliges to run apps, but are locked out of critical areas of the network.

You might discuss the issue with your network admin.

To summarize: the issue isn't an Acrobat application issue, but an XP networking/user issue.

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back