Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot open windows live mail error 0x80041161

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpadowner

Technical User
Sep 18, 2009
CA
Trying to open Windows Live Mail and am getting an 0x80041161 error.

Was working this morning just fine. Have not done anything nor added any software between this morning and this afternoon

Running Win7 64bit - 30 gig of HDD space available and 4 Gig of memory

Tried repairing WLM
Uninstalling/reinstalling
Renaming the message store folder
renaming the WLM folder but no joy

Haven't been able to find a solution searching through Google.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks

Check if the windows live-id sign assistant service is disabled/ stopped. Start the service and then Windows Live mail should startup.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Thanks for the suggestion. It was started and set to Automatic

Thanks, Ben. I should have been more specific in my original post. I tried that first but it had no effect.

Long shot but have you tried setting up a new mail profile and see if windows live mail will start in a new profile?
Control panel>Mail (show profiles+Add+prompt for a profile to be used)
If that works you can then probably import the data from the old one or at least then check permissions.

@ tlcscousin
Long shot but have you tried setting up a new mail profile and see if windows live mail will start in a new profile?
Control panel>Mail (show profiles+Add+prompt for a profile to be used)
Your suggestion creates a profile in Outlook, not WLM

Thanks anyway

Does using System Restore to get back to when things worked make any difference?

If you test from Safe Mode with Networking does the program open?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Do things look correct in this folder? C:\Users\usernamexxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Have a look at this utility.

WMUtil

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Have you tested with another Windows user in case your current profile is corrupted?

This is the main WLM Forum.
Mail Portal (Windows Live Mail Forum)

@ Linny - thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up creating a new user on the computer and WLM opened without a problem. I then copied all files over to the new user and it works.

The old user must have somehow been corrupt although this was the only glitch that has ever been encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back