Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open web page from our domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

csone

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2008
US
I cannot open a certain webpage from inside my domain. I can however open the same page from outside the domain. Yesterday I was able to open the page from inside the domain and nothing I know of has changed overnight. I tried opening it from multiple workstations and i get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. I have tried flushing the DNS but that was no help. Is there something I am missing? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Can you open any other pages from inside your domain?

What web page is it that you cannot open?

Is it always the same page you cannot open?

Is it always on the same site?

Can you open other pages on that same site?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

I'm surprised it displays at all, given the markup is completely screwed up.

There are 2x HTML tags, 2x HEAD sections (1 set within a TD of the original BODY!), and so subsequently 2X BODY tags.

If this is your page, you'll need to fix it so it validates. If it isn't, I suggest you get onto those who can fix it - because it's a right mess and completely invalid as it stands.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[/tt]

Thanks for the help, Dan. The page is not ours so there is not much I can do about the markup.

I have spoken with their tech support people who claim their site is fine, no problems.

I don't think it has to do with visualization, anyway.

Do you have any firewall or proxy in your network? Can you access it by numerical IP?

Cheers,
Dian

Yes we have a firewall but it is not being blocked. We have no proxies set. I did a nslookup for the IP and I am still unable to access the page when using the IP.

I have spoken with their tech support people who claim their site is fine, no problems.

I've emailed them. I hate websites with broken markup - it gives front-end developers a bad name.

Dan

[/tt]

I have a similar problem with our company website. The website is and the name of our Windows active directory is corporate.domainname.com.

About every 10 days, we cannot access the website internally. After restarting the DNS Service the problem is fixed.

Any ideas?? Thank You!

try adding your corporate.domainname.com IP address to the HOSTS file on your internal client PCs. I have had a similar problem before and this usually solves it.

Not sure what you mean by adding the corporate.domainname.com ip address since we have several domain controllers.

There aren't any issues related to active directory just with browsing to our company website on the internet. I thought that maybe since our AD domain name is very similar it could be causing a host name resolution issue through dns because when this problem occurs we can still get to other pages (i.e. google.com)

Thanks!

I'm sorry I meant to say add the external website IP to the HOSTS file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back