Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open the file... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmover

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
US
all,

i've just noted this forum - outstanding!

i recently (last dec) purchased adobe creative suite premium edition (iMac w/ OSX) for scanning/digitizing 35-mm slides. i've scanned 1554 slides and i'm now ready to create a web page gallery. i proceed through the setup process and then execute. after the indesign application is started, i get the following message:
"Cannot open the file"index.html". adobe indesign may not support the file format, a plugin that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."
needless to say, this chaps my hide! adobe wants my credit card # - not a good consumer friendly technical support technique adobe! oh, yes, the product is legitimate - bought with iMac.

i welcome any suggestions to remedy this problem. while i truly like the iMac, i am not thoroughly familiar with Mac OSX and associated software. so bear with my inquiry/ignorance as well.

thanks!
-pmover

Try using GoLive instead.

InDesign CS does not open web pages. InDesign CS does not export web pages (except packaging for GoLive).

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

jimoblak,

thanks for the response!

i'm slightly confused or clarification is needed. the web photo gallery is executed from photoshop and the application starts indesign itself. hence, this is time when the error message is displayed.

if indesign does not open web pages, then why does the software open indesign for creating a web photo gallery? what is the purpose of indesign being activated? a software glich? the process of creating a web photo gallery is documented in books written by adobe people. one would think they would at least know.

how would i go about stopping the process of starting indesign?

is the photo gallery already generated by photoshop?

is this matter fixable by adobe?

I have not tried the photo gallery option in PS-CS but if it was like the last version, it produced HTML only, which InDesign does not deal with. This might be an installation/configuration problem if InDesign is starting.

The photo gallery should be automatically created by Photoshop with no immediate need for another program. You should be able to view the HTML file in your web browser.

- - picklefish - -

It is still as you say Jimoblak.

Photoshop creates the Photo Gallery then it will usually ask your web-browser to open the result so you can see if it is functioning correctly.
Why it would "ask" InDesign to open the result is a mystery to me.
If Pmover was on Windows I would make a wild guess that the .htm or .html files have been "associated" with InDesign.

But this is a question of a Mac - and that is not my scene....

Mac associates file types in a similar manner as Windows. If you right-click the HTML icon, you get a contextual menu that allows you to 'open with...'. Choose 'other...' and find your preferred web browser. Then check the box to always open that file type in the browser.

- - picklefish - -

Thanks to drbgaijin and jimoblak!

Strangely, I went through the process of creating a web photo gallery again and this time, Safari activated instead of InDesign. the file association was checked and it was set to Safari, not Indesign.

Please note my next question.
-pmover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back