Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open or rename or move files expanded from a Rar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocksy

Technical User
Jul 3, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a bunch of AVIs I downloaded from t'interweb. Basically there were stored in RARs and after extracting them, they do not play in any meida players on my PC (WMP, Powerdvd, Nero, Winamp, etc). Windows media player comes up with the error:

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

Which is misleading cos the files are on my PC and there is no proxy conection! The file is also not open in any other app, and i have access to all areas of my PC!!
When I try to rename to file in windows, i get the following error:

Cannot rename PB2.2 ''Otis''.avi: access denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.
As before, none of the reasons it gives are valid. Some things that crossed my mind that I have checked are:

1) whether they are encrypted (they are not)
2) whether I can move & rename them on boot with an app called move on boot (it couldn't access the files before boot - saying access denied)
3) renaming the files in winrar before extracting (the rename option is greyed out

Now I'm fresh out of ideas, and was hoping somebody may be able to help! Cheers in advnace,

Cocksy

PS I'm running XP Pro with all updates to date

1. do a virus scan
2. get unlocker from ms, install it, it´ll tell u then wich handle is locking the files

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure there are no problems with codecs, as this wouldn't prevent the file from being opened or the name changed.

I can't find an MS unblocker, the only one I have found is this one:
and it didn't work either! It came up with the error:
Cannot rename file: Cannot read from source file or diskette
I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the disk - it does it on both of my hard disks.
Any other thoughts?

This is called corruption...

if you have the original RAR then try to fix it using WinRAR first... but I am afraid mostlikely the files are too corrupt, it all depends on how they where DL...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back