Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open one or more attachments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalanche808

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi All,

First I would like to send thanks to all those that contribute to this forum! This is one of my best resources for Exchange problems...

Now onto my question: My users have been getting this message this morning: "Cannot open one or more attachments" when trying to open emails with attachments. My users are using OL2000 SP1/OL2000 SP3 and they are all getting this message. I'm running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT 4.0 SP6. This only started this morning. I've checked the event viewer and there are no errors. My information store has ~7 GB of free space. What should I be checking and is this a common error? Any response is welcome. Thanks in advance!

If you have more than one Exchange server then move their mailbox to another server. This will run a mini defrag on the mailbox. If you only have one server then try defragging it. Let me know what happens.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Thanks for the quick reply DestinysDream. I do not have another server to move any mailboxes to. Apparantly all of my users are now experiencing this problem. I ran a offline defrag on my server on Monday nite and did not have any problems after the defrag until now. Could it be that my NAV on the server is going haywire and quarantining all of the attachments?!?

Your NAV should not be scanning your priv.edb. If it is scanning it then you have been lucky that it did not corrupt it. I would look into it first thing.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

I do have a quarantine folder in my NAVMSE folder that is has maxed out the 6GB drive that it is residing on. I'm looking into that right now to find out if that has anything to do with it... Is there anything else that I could check?

Run a eseutil /g /is to check the integrity of your priv.edb. You have to open the cmd prompt and route to the mdbdata folder. If it gives you any kind of JetError then run the eseutil /r /is to see if a soft recovery can resolve that JetError. Hopefully you do not have to go any further.

Be careful! You have potential corruption of your DBs (because of running a file-based virus scanner on your Exchange Server, against MS recommendations), and running the db maintenance tools (eseutil etc) against your stores can seriously damage them if you aren't 100% sure about what you're doing and what effect it will have.

You should read the DR documentation before making any decisions you might regret:

zbnet is correct. You do not run some of the eseutil's like the /p option unless your database is completely corrupted and mail is not working. Do your homework before you run any utility against a database file.

Thanks zbnet and DestinysDream. The problem turns out to be that NAV for Microsoft Exchange (NAVMSE) partition got full, so NAVMSE could not process any more attachments. I had to manually uninstall NAVMSE (using NAV document:1998112417220554) and then reinstall the latest NAVMSE build. Everything seems to be working now. Thanks again for your help! I'll take both of your advice and add it to my Exchange folder KB though...

My Exchange 5.5 server has been running without antivirus software for 6 years straight, no virus at all. I have Trendmicro scanmail on it to filter out virus and delete certain attachments as they come. I don't defrag it at all, runs like a charm except for reverse NDR problems. So far had one major crash due to Raid Controller failure. Recovered from offline backup files after a rebuild.

My 18 5.5 servers have never had any antivirus running on them (and they used to be 4.0 before they were 5.5, circa 7 years) - we used boundary protection to stop stuff on the outside, and antivirus on every desktop.

Hey guys,
Same problem here... but no solution as of yet. We run NAV 9.0, with Exchange 5.5., on NT 4.0 Service Pack 6. This problem just started this morning, I dont think anyone was seeing any issues on Friday. I do know that I did a reboot on the server mid-friday afternoon... but am unsure if that might have something to do with it. I'm pretty much a novice in this department, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. (My boss is unavailable, she usually handles all the exchange issues).

Thanks,
Bill

I had a similar problem and it turned ot to be Mcafee groupshield.The engine version of the groupshield was out of date (and for some reason wasnt updating automatically) and was incompatible with the latest DAT version from Mcafee.I manually updated the engine and the problem was gone.

Hey Guys,

Same problem here. I'm running Exchange 5.5 SP4
Rebooting the server patches the problem for a week or so, then "cannot open one or more attachments"
I'm running TM Scanmail now, but I just removed McAfee Groupshield in spring. We had the problem then as well.
I noticed that there is a Groupshield mailbox under Private Information Store Mailbox Resources, even though Groupshield has been removed from the server.
Any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back