Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open links/Pdfs/popups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopja

Technical User
Jul 20, 2005
US
Hello everyone.
We got in some new Dell PCs that come with Win7Pro 64 bit (OEM) and IE9.
Everything works fine, except Internet explorer does not open links or PDf or anything that requires a new tab.
So, say I am on google, search for something, and
- when I click on any of the results, I can open them fine (in the same window/tab).
- But if I do a right-click, and say open in new tab, a blank tab opens (nothing on it).
- If I right-click, and say open in new window, nothing happens at all.

Several intranet pages similarly have problems, I cannot click on any links that open PDFs/zip/docs or anything else. I can always right-click and choose "save target" but that is not ideal.

I tried lowering the settings all the way to Low, still nothing. Tried compatibility mode, still nothing.
I uninstalled IE9 (which leaves me with IE8), but still the same issue.

I tried registering urlmon.dll and other DLLs as indicated in but still the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well done on fixing it yourself and for posting the resource [smile], may well be useful for others.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back