Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open hotmail in w2k prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Im trying to access hotmail but it says Site Under construction. But my friends can access hormail with no problem....Help neeeded

Check your local hosts file for a hotmail entry, and delete it.

Wher shall i find that local host file? please help needed

Usually, these can be found in:

WINDOWS 2000:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
WINDOWS XP:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
WINDOWS 95, 98 & ME:
C:\WINDOWS

Cheers!

I hav windows 2000. I went to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\..now what shall i do . Ive seen following files there
hosts
hosts.bak
lmhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services

I tried to open one of these file but it doesnt opens.
Help...

You can either double click the file and when it asks what to open it with, choose NOTEPAD or if you are like me you can right click the file and choose "Send To" and choose Notepad, if you have set it up that way. If not, just use method 1.

Good luck!

That's kind of a weird message to get, make sure you're going to the right URL, and also clear out your cache and history for IE as well.

Try a non-direct route to Hotmail, go to then click on Hotmail there.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Out of these files which file shall i open n remove the hotmail entry??
hosts
hosts.bak
lmhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services

open the hosts file - it's just plain text, so use notepad for editing.

search the file for any reference to hotmail.com e.g.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hotmail.com
(where xxx is any number)

delete the entire line, save and exit
you should then be able to get to hotmail

The default hosts file has only these entries:

sevferal lines beginning with # to explain what the hosts file is for
and
127.0.0.1 localhost

any more can be the result of programs like 'Spyblocker' and configurations caused by an intranet setup
but rogue ones can be put in by hijacker programs. run a program like AdAware or SpyBot to check

i checked the HOSTS file but there is no such entry of hotmail...

I tried all the files listed above but non of them has the line saying hotmail...still problem not sorted out. Help needed plz

did you try the non direct route, using MSN or google and does it still give the same problem

still gives the same problem. My hotmail works fine but when he tried to open in my computer it doesnt. His hotmail works in other computer.

Have you try to clear the cache, cookie IE & history on the local computer. If that failed, clear the DNS cache from the server.

Incorrect system date and time on the computer is the most common cause. Other reasons are given here: thread779-552352

Do you use IE or another browser, or if use only IE have you tried using another browser?

If other browsers have the same problem, it's most probably what bcastner said, incorrect system date and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back